Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2016 08:00

Blurry text in Device manager as well as some other apps.

My system is an Alienware 15 R2 with a 970m graphics card.

Initially I was using the "display driver uninstaller" tool for a clean re instillation of nvidea drivers because I was having display issues with older games. (Now I know the program was unnecessary) 

Then the display of all my programs were fuzzy & very difficult to read. I tried another reinstall using the display driver uninstaller but it crashed during the reboot into safe mode.

Windows 10 needed a fresh instillation & after that was done I had the same fuzzy text issues. 

Tech support advised me to change the DPI scaling 

www.tenforums.com/.../5990-dpi-scaling-level-displays-change-windows-10-a.html

&  to change the Clear text display 

www.tenforums.com/.../5990-dpi-scaling-level-displays-change-windows-10-a.html

These didn't work but the weird thing is that a windows update fixed the issues for some of the programs but not all. Steam & Google display correctly but Revit, Auto Cad & for some strange reason my Device manager are fuzzy. 

Here are some screen caps to help diagnose the issue Capture 11.PNG

Capture10.PNG

Tech support recommended ANOTHER Win 10 re instillation but I don't see how that could help.

Any Suggestions. 

276 Posts

June 17th, 2016 06:00

Iczel

Hi - I recently received my XPS13 (9350) QHD version. The very first thing I noticed was that Device Manager was blurry just like OP. Some windows are also super small. I almost need a magnifying glass to read. Is there any resolution to this?

Of course, proper display drivers must be properly installed.
In Control-Panel, set Display resolution to the native (full) resolution of the display panel. That should take care of the "blurry". Always leave it like that. 
To make items larger, you do that in a different place. You can adjust the Scaling up from 100%.

Oh, c'mon. Read the posts further up the thread, this is not a driver, scaling or resolution issue. The blurriness is due to legacy apps not scaling correctly, which is why the Device Manager looks blurry, but the Modern (Metro) control panel interfaces do not.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 15th, 2016 13:00

Hi, 

If possible, connect an external monitor to your system (like a TV with an HDMI cable) to confirm if you see the same type of distortion on the external display. 

276 Posts

January 15th, 2016 14:00

Have a read of this thread, and view the YT video in one of the posts:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19667122

Tech support are, quite frankly, incompetent, if they think that re-installing Windows will fix this, because what you are seeing is inherent in how Windows handles displaying content. Similarly, re-installing drivers is also a complete waste of time.

Old apps like Device manager do not handle scaling at all well, whereas new apps like Settings have been written with scaling in mind. Some non-Windows apps don't scale at all well, others are fine.

You can improve the sharpness of apps like Device Manager etc by settings scaling to a multiple of the original resolution - for example, I use 200% (I have a 4K display) and Device Manager looks very sharp.

You can go back to 100% and everything will be sharp; try also something like 150%; or live with the blurriness until MS put some real effort into producing a top-notch, beautifully rendered and well presented version of Windows...

Plugging in an external monitor doesn't prove anything, and doesn't fix the real problem.

January 15th, 2016 15:00

I plugged the device into both my monitor & TV via HDMI & the fuzziness was still present. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

January 20th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

Thank you for confirming this. Send me your Service Tag in a PM so we can look further into this.

5 Posts

June 16th, 2016 07:00

Hi - I recently received my XPS13 (9350) QHD version. The very first thing I noticed was that Device Manager was blurry just like OP. Some windows are also super small. I almost need a magnifying glass to read. Is there any resolution to this?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2016 11:00

In Control-Panel, set Display resolution to the native (full) resolution of the display panel. That should take care of the "blurry". Always leave it like that. 
To make items larger, you do that in a different place. You can adjust the Scaling up from 100%.

5 Posts

June 16th, 2016 12:00

Yeah - the latest Intel HD 540 Graphics are installed. The resolution is set to native full (3200x1800). Let me clarify. Everything else is crystal clear showing at the full resolution which is beautiful, but there are some places in windows that appear blurry (Device Manager). 

I'll try the scaling to make things appear larger. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2016 12:00

but there are some places in windows that appear blurry (Device Manager). 

You are going to have to be more specific or provide a screen-shot.

About the res ... good.

What version of Windows?

5 Posts

June 17th, 2016 11:00

I apologize, I don't know why I didn't see that post. I might have glossed over it. If that's the case then that ***. It's a bit of an eyesore. 

There are other apps like VLC and winamp that are scaling terribly. It doesn't seem to help with modifying the scaling (already up to 200+%) I meant to take a screen shot last night but was sidetracked. Based on Hindesite's post, it sounds more to do with Windows 10.

I'll try to get a screen shot of VLC and winamp issue i had. 

Thanks all!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 17th, 2016 14:00

Tesla1856

Iczel

Oh, c'mon. Read the posts further up the thread, this is not a driver, scaling or resolution issue. The blurriness is due to legacy apps not scaling correctly, which is why the Device Manager looks blurry, but the Modern (Metro) control panel interfaces do not.

Not sure who you are replying to. I have a Lenovo X1-Carbon here with 2560x1440 res, so I'm familiar with High-DPI issues. Yes, mine is still running Win8, but I don't think that matters. I'm not seeing anything blurry in legacy Control Panel. Looks like zoom is maxed out. Sure stuff gets small in apps that don't support scaling ... but Control Panel is part of Windows. Everything that is part of the OS looks fine.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 17th, 2016 14:00

I apologize, I don't know why I didn't see that post. I might have glossed over it. If that's the case then that ***. It's a bit of an eyesore. 

There are other apps like VLC and winamp that are scaling terribly. It doesn't seem to help with modifying the scaling (already up to 200+%) I meant to take a screen shot last night but was sidetracked. Based on Hindesite's post, it sounds more to do with Windows 10.

I'll try to get a screen shot of VLC and winamp issue i had. 

Thanks all!

Yes, screen-shots of parts of Windows (like Control Panel) being blurry ... that's what you posted.

As far as 3rd Party Apps or Programs not scaling ... You will have to contact the developers of those apps for an update if you are not happy with the way they scale.

5 Posts

June 17th, 2016 16:00

DeviceManagerScaling.png

See above. Even Google Drive looks blurry. Everything else looks crispy clear

GoogleDrive.png

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 17th, 2016 17:00

Try running the ClearType Text Tuner.

5 Posts

June 17th, 2016 17:00

Yeah that was the first thing I tried. What's odd is I actually can't tell apart the options they give you... But I can see it on Device Driver. I think hindesight is on to something. 

No Events found!