Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2016 10:00

Boots to blank screen with just cursor visible

Hi

I can't get my Alienware X51 R2 to start up. I press the start button and I get the Alienware logo a long with the circles in animation but it then just goes to a blank screen and all I can see is a white sirs or on the screen. Can you let me know what I can do to find out what is wrong?

Many thanks

Justin

August 26th, 2016 20:00

Hi Justin,

Try to power drain your system by turning it off and unplugging it from the outlet, then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds. Next you can check if you can boot manually by pressing F12 while the system is booting and selecting your hard drive. Also you can go to the BIOS of the system by pressing F2 while the computer is booting up and press F9 to load the default settings. Let me know how it goes.

7 Posts

September 6th, 2016 03:00

Hi

I tried this and no joy.  then played about with different boot ups. I did one (rather unwisely) that was to boot up in unsafe mode. I now don't see anythug at all when it boost up. No Alienware logo, no cursor.

I think this all has something to do with when i was updating my nvidia drivers. It said the update hadn't loaded properly and then that's whn the display started to go wrong - i could only see the desktop image, but none of the programs on the desktop. I then reatarted and then got nothing at all. Any suggestions as to what i can do next?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Justin

1 Message

September 6th, 2016 08:00

Hi,

I seem to be having the same issue with my recently purchased Alienware Alpha R2 system. Since the compulsory Windows 10 Cumulative Update + Nvidia GTX 960 update from Microsoft on 31st August, my machine has been suffering the same fate as described above.

Initially I was able to restore to a "System restore point" prior to the 31st August (which would be ok for 1 day before the update decided to install itself again), but for some reason it has now removed that restore point completely from my system!

My machine is now stuck in limbo and unsure of how to fix it. Help!

Dan

September 6th, 2016 09:00

Have you tried using the onboard graphics card port to plug it in the monitor instead of using the Nvidia card ?

7 Posts

September 6th, 2016 09:00

Hi John,

I haven't no. Didn't know that was an option. Where is the onboard graphics card port? I assume round the back somewhere?

Cheers

Justin

September 6th, 2016 10:00

Yes uninstall the Nvidia drivers then reinstall fresh from Nvidia website

7 Posts

Cool - thanks again

It's the hdmi port near the Ethernet port

That port on its own right above the USB ports hdmi port

7 Posts

Thanks John. I will investigate. I assume if it work I should reinstall then visual driver?

7 Posts

September 6th, 2016 13:00

John. This is from my fully working X51. You are a genius - thank you very much indeed.

7 Posts

September 6th, 2016 14:00

No expert Dan but try John's suggestion of moving the HDMI cable and then reinstalling nvidia drivers. Then change HDMI cable back. Worked for me.

September 6th, 2016 18:00

Superb Brother :) , I would strongly suggest to disable Windows update google it on how to do it because they can mess the system up. And no need to update Nvidia drivers after the current driver release because it's very very smooth meaning if it ain't broken don't fix (update) it and keep the anti virus definitions up to date.

Blessings :)

No Events found!