Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2011 18:00

Brand New Aurora ALX wont boot up

Just got it today after waiting a month after the recall, plugged everything in correctly, read i was suppose to press f2 after i turned in on to get to the start up, nothing happens... just sits at a black screen. I was on the phone for 2 hours with alienware cs and the man told me the computer is DOA... The computer is dead already? dont they test them befor the ship them? does anyone know if this is common?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

If you press the little button on the power-supply (in the back) does the little green light turn on?

Does it look like the PC is booting up (HDD light going, etc.) but you are just not getting any video?

Are you in the USA? Are you sure your AC Power is good?

If the little green light turns on, but it still won't boot up, sounds like something broke or came loose in shipping. The fix (if just loose) is to unplug the PC from the wall, and remove and re-seat the video card, other PCIe cards, and the RAM. And, of course, check all the connections (especially those from the power supply).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Could be a lot of things (including items in my first post).

The keyboard not working is strange. Be sure it's connected good in one of the BACK ports, along with the mouse. Maybe try another working keyboard.

Also, make sure the monitor is working and connected good to the proper port. Nothing else should be connected right now.

If the keyboard starts working, you can press F12 and boot to Dell Diagnostics.

You can also trouble-shoot Windows not starting (if the hardware checks-out good in DD):

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

They should have covered all this with you on the phone. If not, do it now (or call them back and have them help you). If it's broken, they will arrange to come fix it, or you may choose to return it.

5 Posts

yeah it turns on and boots up, shows the alien logo and says resuming windows then just goes to a black screen after... i trying pressing f2 f12 f8 f10 but nothing happens, the keyboard lights turn on after the computer goes to the black screen with the flashing white line (like when you begin to type)

5 Posts

March 21st, 2011 19:00

im running dual 460gtx, the bottom card had a cap on it, and took it off swap the monitor, now it works :DDDDD

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 21st, 2011 20:00

im running dual 460gtx, the bottom card had a cap on it, and took it off swap the monitor, now it works :DDDDD

Well, sounds like you fixed it.

Windows was loading, but onto the other output port. It's silly how much trouble a little plastic cap in the wrong place can cause.

5 Posts

March 21st, 2011 22:00

ive come to another problem, i guess the 1st graphics card, isnt working. i get an error ( this device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (Code 12)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 23rd, 2011 12:00

Do you want to troubleshoot this yourself (or, are you working with Dell phone support)?

User Morblore asked for more info in the other thread.

86 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 16:00

You can try a few things like as soon as you see the Alien head logo, press F2 to go into BIOS (i.e. don't wait for the alienhead to disappear). I don't have an Aurora so don't know the exact layout of your BIOS but usually under Advanced Chipset Features you should be able to go through and disable unused hardware to free-up resources for your video card.

i.e.

- if there is on-board video you can disable that.

- if there is on-board audio and you have a PCI or PCI-X audio card make sure the on-board one is disabled.

- if there is more that one on-board network card (i.e. you have two lan ports), you can disable the 2nd one.

- you can disable any serial (not referring to USB) or parallel ports if any are present.

- if you're constantly using wired network and you have a wireless chipset or add-on card you could disable the wireless chipset in BIOS or remove the add-on card.

- if you have bluetooth built in but don't use it, you can also disable that.

Also, if you're using NVidia GPUs I believe there is a conflict with the network chipset built into the Aurora's motherboard and Nvidia GPUs. Might want to download the latest network card and video card drivers and do the following.

1. Uninstall both the GPU and existing network drivers (might not be present).

2. Download driversweeper.

3. Reboot into safemode and use driversweeper to remove all the NVidia GPU drivers.

4. Reboot and install the new network card drivers.

5. Reboot and install the new GPU drivers.

6. Reboot, activated SLI in the Nvidia control panel.

7. Reboot and see if everything is working.

No Events found!