Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2014 05:00

Browser scrolling jerky

Alienware 14,  as I scroll in browser the screen hesitates, them moves in what seems like jumps.   This happens both with the touchpad and an external USB mouse.   My apple always scrolled more smoothly but has a lot slower processor/graphics than Alienware 14.  

I can find the mouse settings but not sure how to change it. 

1.8K Posts

July 30th, 2014 18:00

Hi!

Which internet browser are you using? Do you have the same problem on all browsers? Does it also happen while you use other applications or while you're on the desktop?

166 Posts

August 1st, 2014 17:00

I use Mozilla Firefox, White Hat Aviator, I do have them open at the same time, sometimes multiple tabs, also open is Thunderbird.. pinned to the bar is also Microsoft Word.  I have 16 GB RAM.  I am running in balanced mode, but I do not think it is a hardware resource problem.  

I did download the version of the Touchpad software which allows for two finger scrolling.   Hmm.   I will try to use a USB mouse and see how bad the problem is.  I do not have the USB mouse with me now. 

Sorry to be so slow with my reply, I have been fighting through a number of medical issues. 

1.8K Posts

August 5th, 2014 09:00

Let me know when you get a chance to test the USB mouse. I would also recommend you test the browsers and applications individually to check if the problem is specific to any of them. 

166 Posts

August 16th, 2014 05:00

Wheel mouse is much better in terms of scrolling pages of browsers.   I guess I should be fiddling with the settings of the touch pad, like slowing down the scrolling.   Compared to the Trackpad on my five year old MBP,  the Dell version of a touchpad is awful. 

166 Posts

August 16th, 2014 07:00

Thank you for answering my concerns.   I am using Firefox, without any extensions.   I have several tabs open.   I notice that when I move the mouse wheel it hesitates for a second and a half then the screen jumps rather than rolls.  Like typing in this frame, I get a 3/4 second delay between pushing a key and the letter appearing on the screen.  

I think maybe I should first worry about the power settings.   I have it set to "Power Saver".   This seems like an odd issue on a computer meant for gaming to have delay with a mouse.  

When I had an older tower, with Windows 98, dial up:   I discovered that the If I removed the driver for the ethernet card (NIC, whatever broadband) the machine ran considerably faster.   As the OS loved to reinstall the driver, I finally removed the broad band card from the machine.   OR put another way, the OS spent so much time looking at the broadband card and processing errors (when it had no connection) that it effected the overall performance of computer considerably.   I am suggesting that maybe one of your techs' might play racing computers with removing the driver for an Ethernet port, using WiFi then to measure speed of computer.   Problem being that the port is on the MOBO, and probably part of the software as well. 

As I have typed this I have changed the power setting to "Balanced."  Much of the issue of delay on typing, and mouse scrolling has gone away.  I want to change the power setting to max performance, as it is fairly easy to find a place to plug into mains, but I bought this for speed.  Else I should have bought an Acer from Wal Mart.  

As I look now, Firefox does a ton of things, like spell checking, and of course, it checks to see if websites are dangerous and so on.  I have smooth scrolling set in Firefox. And yes, this problem seems to occur with IE, White Hat Aviator.  

Sorry for me to have taken so long to come back to the time I first started the post, I have had tendonitis in my arm.   Which really hurts, even to type on a keyboard.   A bit better now.  

Where is that post of everything one can do to max performance speed of Alienware?  I guess it is some gamers area, which I do not normally go to, as I am not a gamer.   

Still, Looks like someone could tweak the driver for the Dell Touchpad driver a bit.  Maybe change its priority in OS.   Not to mention the jump of browser page may actually reflect how fast the video driver is.  

No Events found!