Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2012 12:00

CAN'T GAME UNPLUGGED

I couldn't find an answer to this so hopefully someone can help me out. Whenever I try to run a game on battery it is almost unplayable, the fps drop to about 8, even when I drop the graphics to there lowest settings the game remains unplayable. I have gone to the control panel as well as AlienFusion and set the battery options the same as the plugged in options and that did not fix it. I have updated the nVidia driver and control panel but it does not let me change the options for battery power. I usually don't game unplugged but I would at least like to have the option to do it, especially since I have an hour long train ride to college every day. I might be missing something obvious here but I don't want to mess with a bunch of stuff or download something that can mess up my laptop so I thought I would ask you guys.

M17x R3

nVidia GeForce GTX 580M

Intel Core i7 2760QM 2.4GHz,3.5GHz,w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache

16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

500GB Hybrid SSD

431 Posts

March 27th, 2012 13:00

Im guessing it the GPU downclocks due to not having a enough juice to run at full power.That makes sense to me... but I dont own one of these laptops. It doesnt seem like a high end mobile GPU would be able to run at max on a battery?

8 Posts

March 27th, 2012 17:00

You can't have smooth graphics without having it connected. there is no fix to that. it needs more power then just the battery.

40 Posts

March 27th, 2012 21:00

Have you checked to see if you are using the 580 card or the onboard video card?

Have you tried then FN & F7 keys at the same time to check if it is switched to onboard video card?

16 Posts

June 7th, 2012 22:00

I do realize that high end gaming laptops are not suppose to be run off of battery when being used for gaming but that doesn't mean that you can't. Maybe you can't game unplugged on the M17x but I have been able to on other high end gaming laptops. I also realize that if you do your battery life suffers greatly but that's why I purchased an extra battery. I am only looking to get on for around 10 to 20 mins. to pass some time, which is possible with two battery. I do know about computers but  I don't pretend to know everything about the new nVidia mobile GPUs but from what I do know it is because of the 580Ms optimus feature that prevents me from using FN & F7 keys to change to the on-board video card. I was just curious if anyone knew a way around that. There may not be one, and if not that's cool I still love this laptop and would be more than happy to  use some less demanding programs while on my daily 45 min. train ride to work and back home, I just figured why not ask. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

No Events found!