Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 22nd, 2017 23:00

Can someone give me advice for Graphics Card set in old alienware 15?

I have two questions for new Graphics Card set in old alienware 15.

1. can i  upgrade my old alienware 15 with out dell alienware graphics amplifier?

for now i have alienware 15 with GTX980M and i know there is new alienware 15 with GTX 10** series.

so if it's possible, i want to upgrade my old  alienware 15 from 980m to GTX 1070. (no dell alienware graphics amplifier)

can some one answer this Question?

2. ok so... i can't upgrade my  old alienware 15. then i will use dell alienware graphics amplifier but i 
hear some rumor, some GTX1070 is not able to ues in dell alienware graphics amplifier.

it's true? then.... can some one recommend to me for gtx1070 that able to ues in dell alienware graphics amplifier. 

or just give me advice for what should i check when i choose gtx 1070 for  dell alienware graphics amplifier. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 23rd, 2017 11:00

Hi,

This are the reference cards that will work. The validated cards in the list are the Nvidia / AMD reference cards (unmodified). For example this is the reference version for the GTX1070, the specifications on this card are the validated ones. We are not saying that non-reference cards will not work, but we can not confirm the functionality, since we can't validate all cards. :

In regards to the video card maximum dimensions:

Length: 10.5''

Height: 4.376

17 Posts

February 23rd, 2017 10:00

1) The internal video cards on the laptops are soldered on and cannot be upgraded.

2) I have a GTX 1080 running in a graphics amplifier for my Alienware 17 R3 and it works great, so a 1070 should work just fine.  However, some of the 10xx cards are too tall to fit in the case with the lid closed, so you need one that is no more than 5 inches tall.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl

No Events found!