Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2012 01:00

Can't install driver update for nvidia 555m

Hi, guys,

I just received the system today. i7 core, 4g RAM, with Nvidia 555m.

Tried to play battlefield 3, but the game kept crashing. Searched for solutions for a while online.

A few people said that if I update the driver, it might help.

So I downloaded the lastest driver off from dell support.

When I was installing the driver, it said that "Nvidia installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics Hardware."

I used the dell website to search my service tag, and double checked it by myself. and the driver was a beta version update for 555m.

but it kept telling me the same error.

I also tried to download the driver from nvidia website, it's the same error.

Any ideas? I googled the issue, many people addressed the same problem, but I couldn't find any solution to it.

Any reply will be appreciated.

73 Posts

January 5th, 2012 04:00

dont ever download any drivers from Dells site they are old and out dated

go here and download the latest beta drivers www.nvidia.com/.../notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-290.53-beta-driver.html

also might wanna take alook at this topic http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19429106.aspx

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 09:00

doesn't work for me, same error

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 13:00

Thanks. man. it helped.

11 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 22:00

have the same problem (still I'm unable to reach anybody at dell from italy).

it all started dec last year when an upgrade from w7 about intel graphics was denied to install.

after going to intel drivers was clear that intel graphics never upgraded (maybe because m14x is not anywhere available to market). this visibly started problems because nvidia cannot install correctly bypassing intel graphics.

last time nvidia resisted with w7/intel couple, now not.

see the chain

bios > intel chipset > nvidia chipset > w7

nvidia updates faster than all, calls ms and nothing happens. then dell wakes up and changes bios.

who's missing? :-)

indeed at dell site are marked urgent both a bios and nvidia driver updates. this is a sympthom of the problem.

a secon signal is that fan started to run ever and ever. this is because if nvidia doesn't work properly cpu backs video and heats up.....

dell is avoiding any answer/communicatyion yet. but the problem is intel. impossible to solve. we've just marked the unfortunate sons of m14x.

11 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 23:00

doesn't work fro me. thanks anyway. we've just marked the unfortunate son of m14x (living outside us)

215 Posts

February 3rd, 2012 19:00

Have you guys tried this website before?

www.laptopvideo2go.com/.../disclaimer

Just follow these steps:

Download the requested driver and the modified inf file.

1. Unpack the driver

2. Replace the nv_disp.inf file with the modified one you downloaded

3. Launch the setup and install the driver.

It worked for me in the past for my M14X.  It may help you if you have not tried it.

If not, you can always do a system restore back to what you had before.

125 Posts

February 3rd, 2012 20:00

I am just curious because on the Dell support website it recommends not installing drivers for the graphics cards from the card manufacturer and only using the Dell drivers because they are certified compatible. Any thoughts on this? In the past there was some suggestion that Dell cards were OEM and might function differently with manufacturer drivers.

Thanks

11 Posts

February 4th, 2012 08:00

in italy there is not such a reccomendation.

still if you look at the many versions nvidia is publishing it's clear that dell and all the

chain - bios > chipset > graphics > w7 - cannot keep the pace in parallel.

so when dell sales all stuff together, it requires time to put all drv info together, assuring the updates will work.

the only they can do is to reccomend the certified (=old) versions they've checked, till a new check comes.

at present in my alienware a bios 08 seems to be not perfectly matching new changes from nvidia.

given the nature of i7 cpu this causes fan running ever, because the bios thinks card isn't running so fast (as it is now running, after the updates).

teh real problem is support is missing at all in italy. no warning, no mail, and finally phones saying you'll be called back some day (maybe I would say). you're just treated like an unfortunate son.

72 Posts

February 4th, 2012 09:00

Its practice standard to protect the warranty.  Dell knows the system works on their ancient drivers. (debatable) Once you customize any part of the system you are taking things into your own hands and Dell will wash their hands if anything goes wrong.     They really do want to consider updating though.

Take the brand new Aurora R4 for example. The lovely shiny website has the PC surrounded by images of Battlefield 3.

So much to my surprise out of the box my new system with its dual 2gb 6950s (the top cards offered for the new system) cause the game to play like your running through mud.   A quick update to the new ATI 12.1a preview drivers and im running at a cool 60fps on ultra no problem.   Yet im not reccomended to do such a thing. I must use the 2010 drivers from Dells website which will not run this game!  An utter joke.

215 Posts

February 4th, 2012 12:00

Greg100,

The main problem with using Dell's drivers is that they tend to not work properly with the new games.  It's what I keep seeing on this forum.  Having the NVIDIA Drivers allows gamers to play any game available.  Dell tries hard to get them updated but it takes time.  It's not automatic.  So if you are a patient person, then by all means wait for Dell's drivers.  In my case, since I have dealt with computers for a long time, I do not have a problem taking  a chance on NVIDIA Drivers.  They have worked great for years.  So I will keep updating them as they are available.  If anyone is worried about the warranty then they should stick to using Dell's.  But using NVIDIA's drivers without modifying them will not cause extra stress to the laptop.  In other words, the computer won't break simply because you installed a NVIDIA Driver.  But other people may think otherwise.  

72 Posts

Patience is fine rlA1999   but 2 years + since an update? You know how fast this market moves.

Dell DON'T advertise a game alongside your product if it doesn't work on your own verified drivers.

That is all.

215 Posts

And it's why I don't wait and just update the drivers to NVIDIA's.  Never had a problem :)

No Events found!