marcvv
6 Indium

RE: Cooling Fan - Excessive Speed

I found the same workaround as you did John but I found it does not typically survive a reboot or shut down - restart.  

Most times when I reboot I have to go back in and change to manual again in the command center.  This is a workaround that works about 3/4 of the time it seems. Sometimes you have to reboot or put to sleep and try again for it to work.  

I hope they get the fix out fast because doing this everytime I restart is going to get very old. Also I prefer the automatic fans that can adjust the speed according to the cpu/pci/drive temps needs.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Have you now or in the past used another software to run your fans, such as MSI Afterburner. If so you may need to go back into that software and re-apply any saved profile to bringing the fans back to where you had them before.
0 Kudos
marcvv
6 Indium

I have never used any other software to run the fans.  

I suspect the thermal controller from command center does not work correctly with Windows 10 or something is blocking it.  The odd thing is that on boot the fans start and stay at full tilt until the controller finally loads or where it doesn't I manually set the fan values and apply them.  

Before Windows 10 the computer would have a brief fan burst of maybe one second and then spool down well before the bios or start screen came on.  Now it seems they go full tilt from power, through bios and start screen and don't spin down until I login to the desktop and everything starts to launch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Krypton

A Workaround

With fast startup off, I have the Alienware Command Center set to manual; when I shut down, I remove power and press the on/off switch to drain any remaining charge. When I next turn on the computer, the fan switches between 100% and lower speeds a couple of times until I get to the sign-in screen; after entering my password, the fan again oscillates between 100% and lower speed before settling down to the lower speed.

When I check thermal on the Alienware Command Center, all three ambient sensors are reading normal temps (around 27 - 29 deg. C) and the PCI fan is at 24% (manual control) and the HD fans are at 889 RPM, which the command center thinks is 0%.

This behavior is repeatable - and since it seems to work OK, I'd say that at least in MY case this is a workaround for the runaway fans. Of course, the fans are SUPPOSED to automatically rev up when the circuits get hotter, and I'm not sure they're doing so with the system set up this way. So far, no indication of overheating. (My CPU is NOT overclocked, so there's less heating.)

I've put off installing the latest MS updates, since MS has apparently decided to stop telling us what the "minor" updates and bug fixes actually do, and I don't want to mess up what is sort of working for me.

Please, DELL, help sort this out for us!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

0 Kudos
marcvv
6 Indium

Ok so whenever my PC goes to sleep and wakes up the fans go 100% again so the only fix is shutting down all my browsers, apps and work to do a full restart. This is not very productive.  

Has anyone downgraded back to Windows 7 from 10 to fix this?  Are there any issues, risks or downsides of doing so?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

let me guess Marc; A-Rod's Tuesday advice for you, where you were to follow a link which amounted to 'reinstall Command Center' ... din't work out?

After you posted? I had to go into that other thread & make some edits with additional advice & links actually, in order for you to have added tools, so I'm half-surprised nothing worked. Especially since you have 5 CmndCntr versions to try out.

I think I would open Thermals > if your fans are set to auto, try manual 'fixed' or manual + curve. If no joy, and if you've exhausted all the methods we've been trying? To answer your question, I believe it would be better to install 7 clean on its own hard drive actually. eBay, you can pick up drives all day long for as low as $15 for an 80Gb, buy a pair etc. that way if the day ever gets here and Alienware provides an R4 fans fix:

your 10 can stay where it is, on its own drive, setup like u want it. b4 u revert to 7, consider a clean 7 instead on its own drive. If there are 'risks' in going back to 7 from 10, I've read that the worse that happens is some of your files / programs aren't restored, so there's that, a small price to pay. If there's a fix in 7 it's the type that comes with a clean install. Ok?

Remember to post in AlienwareArena too, the moderator's there need inundated with this nagging issue, need to be made aware it hasn't gone away yet, as if they don't already know it, since the R4 in the Alien Lab has gotta be all ate up with this fans at 100% issue, right?  

Dell Alienware? They wanna run but they can't hide from this.

Simple advice? Turn off fast startup in 10, & don't put your Alien to sleep til there's a fix ...

Ball's in your court Marc

0 Kudos