Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2015 11:00

Cpu turbo not working

Hello,

So I had my laptop alienware M17 with an intel i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs). I just read that the max turbo frequency can go up to 3.4 GHZ so I tried checking if it worked using various monitoring programs including intels own but it never did. I made sure to check at boot menu that the turbo was on but it really does not seem to have any effect. If it can go up to 3.4 GHZ how do I get it to do that when playing games and how can I check it is?

Thank You

5 Posts

February 12th, 2015 12:00

8132.Capture.JPGthis is a picture of the program i use when the computer is at rest

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Connect AC Adapter, and be sure your Windows PowerProfile is set to High Performance.

That CPUID program isn't the right one to measure individual core speeds, but they have other better ones for that.

5 Posts

My computer is basically connected all the time and is on high preformance for the battery. What program would you recommended me using to measure speed? Also I made sure that heat wasn't an issue as it is set-up on of those external laptop fan and the Measured temperature rarely goes above 80 degrees.

5 Posts

February 16th, 2015 08:00

tabbing out, I don't have a second screen.

1.2K Posts

yea that wont show actual speed it wonnt show actual temps etc.. , as game isn't     being rendered...  I run 2 screens, I watch speeds and temps at all times

1.2K Posts

are you using 2 screen  to  see the change  or  tabbing out? tabbing out will drop cpu speed as game  isn't  being rendered, ive never successfully got  intel to  read cpu properly let alone work see, yet ive seen turbo work fine with  single thread operations as the single core  hit  its max speed

5 Posts

i Know and read that before but even when I play games that require better cpu speed such as Arma 3 there is no recorded effect of it. I have the intel program that tells me when the cpu goes into turbo mood and it tells me when it enters turbo mood and it never does.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 16th, 2015 13:00

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 16th, 2015 13:00

https://revision3.com/haktip/chartsandgraphs/

They used to have a program called Tmonitor, but when you think about it, PerfMonitor2 is better.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/perfmonitor-2.html

No Events found!