Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 6th, 2016 19:00

Diagonal Screen tearing on new Alienware 17 R4 2016

Hey, a day into owning one of the new 2016 17 inch model alienware's with an nvidia 1070 graphics card and I'm seeing a serious graphical glitch in the first game I installed, Doom 2016.  It presents a strange distortion line down the diagonal of the screen from the top left to the bottom right.  I've looked this up and it's a problem that has plagued earlier alienware models and now, apparently, the 17 R4.  Is this something that all the alienware 17s are experiencing or is this a defect in some units?

35 Posts

December 12th, 2016 02:00

Hmmm.  Have yet to game on mine but I would suspect driver conflict/bottlenecking issue.  Interested in what the pro's think.  Hope I don't run into this. . . 6820hk 1080.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 12th, 2016 13:00

A good screen-shot (even with phone) would be nice.

I'm guessing it's some anomaly with id-Software's latest game-engine. I remember Rage was hard to get working properly on my AMD system also back-in-the-day (but I finally did it).

Be sure you have the latest version of the game.

Pretty sure this machine has Hybrid graphics system, so be sure Doom-2016 is using the powerful dedicated video card (NOT using the Intel one). You might also have to tweak the game's Advanced video settings, as well as the video card's (NVidia or AMD) Advanced Control Panel options.

www.dell.com/.../SLN146534

April 1st, 2017 06:00

I have seen the same issue when I play games on Steam.  Ark and Northgard are two notable ones that I am still having this issue with.  I have also started to notice it on youtube videos.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 2nd, 2017 12:00

Interesting.

Might be hard to track down because no-one is really posting which LCD-Panel option they have in theirs, or their current settings in Nvidia ControlPanel.

Does it help if you force V-Sync ON for everything? Does Full-Screen vs Windowed make a difference?

No Events found!