Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2016 10:00

Diagonal Screen tearing with 900m & 800m graphics cards on Alienware note books. Issue still not resolved

This post is to bring attention to the Diagonal screen tearing issue I & other users of the 900m & 800m graphics cards have been reporting on for the past 12 months. 

When gaming in windowed mode, either full screen windowed or border less windowed mode is when the screen tearing is most prevalent.

This issue can be minimised or sometimes solved if the Game has an exclusive full screen mode in the display settings, but not every game has these settings (EG KoTOR 2) 

Below I will post links to a forum post discussing the issue & a video that I captured myself of spec ops the line using a tablet as direct capture does not display the issue. 

If anyone form the Community or the Alienware support team can test playing games on windowed mode on their gaming note books to see if you also experience said screen tearing we can then hopefully conclude if it's the Nvidia 900 & 800M series graphics cards or some other issue. 

A good game to test would be the Witcher 3, you will see the tearing when browsing the world map, playing gwent & viewing cinematic cut scenes 

Before anyone asks, yes I have tried the latest drivers form Nvidia, I've tried a clean re-instillation of Windows 10 & I have played with both V sync on and off. 

My laptop is an Alienware 15R2 with a 970m graphs card. 

Thanks for the assistance

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/903422/geforce-mobile-gpus/diagonal-screen-tearing-issues-on-gtx-860m-870m-960m-965m-970m-980m-/1/

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwysmDn1ZWw:550:0]

62 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 11:00

Does this happen on an external display or only on the internal?

June 22nd, 2016 12:00

It happens on the external display for me as well.

62 Posts

June 22nd, 2016 12:00

I'm curious if it happens on the AGA - I'll see if I can test anything on my 15 R1 over the next couple of days.

No Events found!