Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2017 06:00

Disk Usage 100%

I received my new Alienware Aurora R6 last night and right away without installing anything the system seemed very slow and task manager showed Disk Usage at nearly 100% constantly. I have tried a few google results and youtube videos to fix it without success. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 18th, 2017 08:00

Hi drawsblood‌,

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let me know if you receive any errors.

Be sure to run all Windows updates as well as having the BIOS up to date.

July 18th, 2017 08:00

Hallo.

what Process is it exactly causing Troubles? open Task Manager and go to the Processes Tab, then sort the Processes by Hard Disk Usage.

July 18th, 2017 12:00

so no matter what App you open, in the Task Manager this App shows 100% HDD Usage, is that correct?

i saw this kind of behaviour with faulty Software like MSI Gaming App for Example. MSI messed up some Versions of their App last Year. Tobii Eye Tracking does that to some Systems. sometimes you can locate the Error by looking at the Windows Reliability History. just type "Reliability" in Start Menu and you should see it in the List.

would be bad if you get your new Motherboard replaced with Refurbished one and it turns out it was a Software Error later. happened here already. the Guy was mad when we discovered a simple DLL Error caused by Dell Support and Assist App.

4 Posts

July 18th, 2017 12:00

Everything is causing the problem. When you run anything there is severe lag for 3-5 seconds before the system responds, with mostly (Not Responding) windows. However I just got off the phone with technical support after talking to them for ~3 hours. He had me completely reset my computer even though it was only picked up from Purolator late last night. I have to send my PC back to get it repaired after less than one day of ownership.

4 Posts

July 18th, 2017 18:00

That is correct. I downloaded Google Chrome and instantly Disk Usage at 100%. I can open AlienFX and it does the same. The app doesn't matter. And Yes I am really disappointed that I will be receiving a Refurbished SSD instead of a new one. The system hasn't even been used for 24hrs yet and will have a "used" component. I have a 3 year warranty I expected to receive new parts, especially right out of the box. So far my experience has been far from good.

July 19th, 2017 02:00

so you Guys checked your SSD with Tools like Crystal Disk Info for Errors or is it just a Guess?

and yes. i totally get the Frustration. i got a new Surface Pro Tablet as a Birthday Gift and this thing has Coil Whine. i meen what the Heck? freaking Tablet with Coil Whine?

Edit:

speaking of replacing Parts while having Software Errors. here is the newest Example:

AW 17R4 GTX1070 superslow on graphix and video render 

Edit:

Fixed Tool Name.

4 Posts

July 19th, 2017 05:00

He took control of my PC and ran the tests with the default Alienware program not sure what it's called at the moment but it showed no errors anywhere. Then he tried turning windows search and super fetch off because they can run in a loop which I already had done after looking this issue up online. Nothing had worked so I reset with deleting everything off SSD. As soon as it was done he took control of the pc again did one more test and told me I was going to have to send it in. 

July 19th, 2017 11:00

hmmm...

okay then. there is nothing left to do. post again after you got your Laptop back.

bye.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 19th, 2017 12:00

Drawsblood wrote:

and told me I was going to have to send it in. 

If that was their final answer, I would instead return it for complete refund and start purchasing decision over (either with Dell or other company).

July 19th, 2017 12:00

yeah, looks like the Guy on the Phone made a Mistake by deleting everything and then just gave up.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 20th, 2017 11:00

‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can review your case.

No Events found!