Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2013 15:00

Do I need to upgrade my ram?

Ok, so I put my GTX 680 up for sale, because I ordered 2 770s. And a guy is offering me either 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM. Or 16GB and $150 cash. My CPU is the 3930k only at 3.2 GHz. He says the 8GB of RAM that I got with the computer can't handle overclocking my CPU and will bottleneck my GPU. Is this true? Do I need the Corsair RAM? Is there a difference between the RAMs? 

7 Posts

June 5th, 2013 16:00

Hi, how do I submit a screenshot? Can I just take a photo of CPU-Z? I'm guessing DRAM Frequency is the speed? If it is, then DRAM Frequency:800 MHz. Not sure where XMP memory is.

2.4K Posts

Ok, so I put my GTX 680 up for sale, because I ordered 2 770s. And a guy is offering me either 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM. Or 16GB and $150 cash. My CPU is the 3930k only at 3.2 GHz. He says the 8GB of RAM that I got with the computer can't handle overclocking my CPU and will bottleneck my GPU. Is this true? Do I need the Corsair RAM? Is there a difference between the RAMs? 

What type of RAM do you have now? What's it's speed and is it XMP memory?

The 3930k is unlocked so all you have to do is change the multiplier to what you want and then stress test it to confirm it is stable. Changing the BCLK will change memory speed but you shouldn't need to do that with that CPU.

2.4K Posts

Hi, how do I submit a screenshot? Can I just take a photo of CPU-Z? I'm guessing DRAM Frequency is the speed? If it is, then DRAM Frequency:800 MHz. Not sure where XMP memory is.

That will work. Post a screen shot of the Memory and SPD tabs of CPU-Z.

1.2K Posts

June 5th, 2013 17:00

well in reality ... if it says 800mhz... reality its 1600mhz....

also in a perfect world ram would make a difference, but in reality  changing ram will not see an improvement in real world  , but in benchmarking ect,  and photo/video editing it would help but 8 gigs is enough for most people , I open everything I can on my laptop and still have 18 gig average free out of 24 :O

2.4K Posts

June 5th, 2013 18:00

well in reality ... if it says 800mhz... reality its 1600mhz....

also in a perfect world ram would make a difference, but in reality  changing ram will not see an improvement in real world  , but in benchmarking ect,  and photo/video editing it would help but 8 gigs is enough for most people , I open everything I can on my laptop and still have 18 gig average free out of 24 :O

I agree. I've been running 6gb in my Area 51 now for 2 years with no issues at all. I never run out. I've thought a bout adding more from time to time but there just is no need.

6 Posts

8gb ram will not 'bottleneck' your CPU, the 'bottleneck' with RAM is more to do with the latency of the RAM, not the amount you have, most modern CPUs are capable of outstripping the amount of data that can be fed to them by RAM, 8Gb is sufficient, you will only need more ram if you are running a number of memory intensive programs at the same time.

What you should be looking at is the latency of the RAM.  

Compare the latency of the corsair with the RAM you have, if it's the same (like 9 - 9 - 9 - 21) then it won't really benefit you as far as throughput goes, if those numbers are lower then it will be better.

Higher resolution will put strain on your GPUs (graphics card/s), the more memory your cards have the better it will perform on very high res / multi-monitor.

The whole 2 or 3 monitor gaming thing is personal choice, some people like it, some don't.

7 Posts

Thank you. But if I do get faster ram, will it really make a difference for gaming?

7 Posts

Does it change anything that I'll be playing on a big resolution? (5760x1080) And while I'm asking, is it actually good playing on triple monitors? Or it's just a nice show and tell thing? And in the end, should I take the deal? Or should I just sell it?

6 Posts

June 5th, 2013 19:00

If the RAM you get has a much lower latency then you may get noticeable performance gains for gaming.

Faster RAM as in higher Mhz can improve gaming performance (short answer).

No Events found!