Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2014 21:00

Error code 2000-0322: "Error accessing LCD inverter".

hi all.

syafiq here.

1. i am using Alienware M15X laptop. Recently my laptop started to froze unexpectedly and then reboots itself. i performed systems diagnostic and got the error 2000-0322: "Error accessing LCD inverter".

2. i've read other people experiences regarding this error, and all they have the LCD dimming or goes blank. But that never happened to me.

3. I can start my system just fine. but usually after 1 hour or so, my screen froze is frozen for a few minutes, and

forced to shut it down (press power button until shutdown) repeatedly.

4. usually when rebooting, i can't even get past the starting screen (Windows logo) coz it froze, so i had to force

reboot again.

5. on a good day when i finally got past that "Welcome" screen, i could only mess around for a few minutes, and then

same scenario as above (3 and 4) happened again.

6. If i didn't use my laptop for a few days, i can get up to two hours of usage before froze.

7. I have also flash BIOS to latest version A09. still same thing happened.

Note that i have also experienced other errors such as:-

1. caps lock and scroll lock flashing (video card or mobo faulty) 2. one long beep and two short beep (video problem)

My main concern is, could this be really the LCD inverter faulty, or something else, like GPU or mobo? coz the error codes and symptoms are not all pointing to the same direction.

Please help.

Thanks.

48 Posts

May 16th, 2014 06:00

The LCD Invertor (or ballast) is usually located under the bezel, at the bottom of the screen. It regulates the voltage to the panel. They aren't the easiest thing in the world to replace, but not too bad if you go slow and are careful with the tiny screws, etc. There are usually little rubber plugs on the laptop bezel hiding the screws to remove the bezel but I'm sure 30 seconds on Google would show you the entire replacement procedure. I would pull the invertor (or at least check for a loose connector) read the part number and google for a replacement. It will probably be a standard part. Nothing special about Alienware invertors UNLESS Dell has used some proprietary connector (like their M/B front panel header pin outs for example). I've purchased them from $40.00 to $150.00 depending on the laptop.

1.8K Posts

May 16th, 2014 18:00

Hi!

The flashing Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LED lights indicate as you said, a Video Card or Motherboard failure according to the No Post LED errors. This may also be causing the freezing problem and will most likely require a replacement. The replacement can be covered if the system is in warranty, you can send me a private message with your Service Tag and contact information if you require further assistance. 

May 17th, 2014 18:00

Hi naomi.

Thanks for your response. I'm just wondering,if it's a motherboard faulty problem,shouldn't my machine won't be able to start at all?

1.8K Posts

May 19th, 2014 10:00

Not necessarily, but that's why the Video Card is listed as the first option. 

3 Posts

June 7th, 2014 02:00

Hello, 

My M17x that I purchased a few months ago is giving me issues as well. My laptop is still running the OS but my screen blacks out and beings to click. I believe it may be my inverter because when I shine a bright light on my screen I can see the actual alien background of my desktop. I'm currently deployed overseas and only had this laptop right at 6 months. What are my options?

1.8K Posts

June 9th, 2014 13:00

Hi Eugenio2,

Please run an ePSA diagnostic to check for hardware errors and test the system with an external monitor. Let me know what happens. 

3 Posts

June 10th, 2014 23:00

It might be a little while before I can test it out due to my location and the resources available. 

1.8K Posts

June 11th, 2014 20:00

Alright, just update the thread when you get a chance to run the test.

3 Posts

July 4th, 2014 04:00

Hello. My laptop screen finally cooperated. I don't know how or why but I have a guess. I've attached photos and a video. My screen turned on when I was opening up my screen. I apply a little pressure opening it up without touching the actual screen of course and it turns on. Moments later I see a weird even take action on the right side of my screen. Thereafter my screen goes back to a blank screen with a flicker. I can still see the shadow of my alienware background which indicates the inverter at that point. When I apply pressure to close my laptop the screen fixes itself on the right side. The pictures indicate so. The video I have won't fit after all but the issue with that was when I turned my computer on and I would receive the blank flickering background and when I removed the power plug, the screen appeared. I don't understand this. I did run the test after my screen was displaying correctly. Everything checked out but I didn't run the extended version since everything before that passed with flying colors. Please assist. I'm starting to lose faith in this product and I've only had it for less than 7 months and it cost me nearly 2 grand. This shouldn't be happening. laptop screen.jpglaptop screen 2.jpglaptop screen 3.jpg

1.8K Posts

July 7th, 2014 11:00

Hi again,

Please send me a private message with your Service Tag and contact information so I can assist you further. 

No Events found!