Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2012 14:00

Failed BIOS update resulted in Boot Loop, Recovery steps unclear.

Hi All,

After failed BIOS update, my Aurora when powered up with 1GB RAM ends up in boot loop in which the PC powers on and off.

Couple of observations:

-Black screen.

-When RAM is removed double beeb can be heard.

-Attempted CMOS resets either via battery removal or motherboard jumper have not helped out.

-If motherboard is beyond rescue, is it possible to buy one from Dell?

Also, would be interested to know whether Dell Service / Support can help if warranty has expired, I am quite happy to pick up the bill.

Kind regards,

Rob

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

rufus76

The best forum to post this in, is the Alienware Owners Club, I am moving the thread to it.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

Power off, unplug and press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open case and remove motherboard battery

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!)

See if it boots now

If necessary, you can buy a replacement motherboard and install it yourself. There should be instructions in the manual for this model on the support site. Or maybe take it to a local PC shop.

18 Posts

October 11th, 2012 10:00

Ron,

thanks for the help, much appreciated.

I tried to follow your instructions as closely as possible but struggled a bit and perhaps due to this I did not execute your instructions correctly.

Couple of questions if i may:

What does the "press/hold power button" do and is this only relevant when there is no power connected to the pc?

What should i have connected to the Motherboard when attempting this kind of critical first boot?

So from powered off starting point, is the sequence like this:

1. Unplug power.

2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec.

3. Open Case.

4. Remove Battery.

5. Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec.

6. Reinstall the battery (Writting side up I presume).

7. Close Case.

8. Plug power.

9. Push power button.

Sorry to pain with the sequence but I want to make sure I execute your instructions correctly.

Regards,

Rob

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 11th, 2012 14:00

Press/holding the power button after the system is unplugged will drain away any residual charge on the motherboard which a) helps makes sure you don't cause a surge or short circuit and fry things and b) makes sure that BIOS actually gets reset.

In cases like this, best to have only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached. No network connection, no phone lines, no printers, scanners, iPods or anything else.

As for the battery, I meant "correct-side-up". Check the manual for this system to make sure the + side is supposed to be up, which is the typical installation, though there might be exceptions to the rule, and I don't know exactly which system you have.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 11th, 2012 15:00

Hi All,

After failed BIOS update, my Aurora when powered up with 1GB RAM ends up in boot loop in which the PC powers on and off.

Just wondering (and I don't mean to get involved in this discussion because it looks like you are in good hands) but ...

1. What "Release" Aurora do you have ... or ... if you don't know, what Intel processor model is installed?

2. Was the first attempted BIOS flash done via Windows or bootable USB flash drive?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

October 11th, 2012 16:00

@Tesla - All comments, questions, solutions are welcome.  I don't have an 'exclusive'!

This thread actually started in the Desktop General Hardware where I picked it up but then it got moved over here.

18 Posts

October 12th, 2012 12:00

Gents,

all comments welcome and appreciated.

here's the details:

Model: DOIM Type: DOIMOO1 P/N: K9OFW Rev: AOO October 2009

Via windows (Dell Support/Drivers/Bios download package). The failure was squarely my own fault, I noticed that I had something running on the background and panicked. Not sure what I did but I ended pulling the power out in the end.

Dell-Chris kindly advised me that getting Dell Service to sort out the situation would be expensive so I guess I am doing it my self now then. Before I order a new MB I suppose I need to work on the old one to establish that it is beyond help.

I was wondering if somekind of BIOS flush from an external device could be option for me?

Then again, I took the battery off for a night, on the next day played around with the jumper and finally connected the battery and tried reboot and ended up back in the loop. So not sure what is the logical next step...

Regards,

rob

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

here's the details:

Model: DOIM Type: DOIMOO1 P/N: K9OFW Rev: AOO October 2009

Not sure what the above means.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@Tesla - All comments, questions, solutions are welcome.  I don't have an 'exclusive'!

This thread actually started in the Desktop General Hardware where I picked it up but then it got moved over here.

This is a good example of bringing a machine back to life after failed BIOS update:

18 Posts

October 12th, 2012 16:00

Tesla,

Thanks for the article, I ll be doing some work  based on that tomorrow then.

The handbook notes the model as Aurora ALX, Processor Intel core i7, Intel X58 Express.

I Believe I tried to do Windows Bios flash.

Regards,

Rob

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 12th, 2012 16:00

Tesla,

Thanks for the article, I ll be doing some work  based on that tomorrow then.

The handbook notes the model as Aurora ALX, Processor Intel core i7, Intel X58 Express.

I Believe I tried to do Windows Bios flash.

Regards,

Rob

If x58 chipset and a, Intel i7 processor numbered like 9xx ... should be an R1 or just Aurora/Aurora-ALX .

Ya, try the "outside of Windows" USB way.

Strip the machine hardware down to the bare essentials to remove failure possibilities. Just try to get motherboard working again.

18 Posts

October 13th, 2012 05:00

Tesla,

I read the article linked above and ended up with some questions, apologies if the answers are lurking somewhere I did not look. Also, bit out of my depht here so want to proceed carefully.

As advised, I used my Service Tag:  <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> to download the only Bios version availabe from Dell downloads. Is this Aurora -A1 application file suitable for the flush attempt as it is from USB stick?

I also did read the instructions on the BIOSFLASH pages and downloaded BIOS Boot package, in the instructions there are references to FAT-32, does this have anything to do with Aurora HD?

Is it possible that the Aurora's HD is ok?

I presume that when I try the BIOS flush I will need to have the HD connected?

If so, could I substitute the HD with a new one so that no harm comes to the old one?

Regards,

Rob

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 13th, 2012 13:00

Tesla,

I read the article linked above and ended up with some questions, apologies if the answers are lurking somewhere I did not look. Also, bit out of my depht here so want to proceed carefully.

As advised, I used my Service Tag:  <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy> to download the only Bios version availabe from Dell downloads. Is this Aurora -A1 application file suitable for the flush attempt as it is from USB stick?

I also did read the instructions on the BIOSFLASH pages and downloaded BIOS Boot package, in the instructions there are references to FAT-32, does this have anything to do with Aurora HD?

Is it possible that the Aurora's HD is ok?

I presume that when I try the BIOS flush I will need to have the HD connected?

If so, could I substitute the HD with a new one so that no harm comes to the old one?

Regards,

Rob

No, A1 is too old.

For an Aurora R1, the latest BIOS is A11:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/alienware-aurora-alx?driverId=9DCY7&osCode=W764&fileId=2912549841

ftp://ftp.dell.com/bios/aurora-a11.exe

I run A09

ftp://ftp.dell.com/bios/aurora-a09.exe

Yes, always use USB stick.

No, FAT-32 refers to the format on the USB flash drive stick itself.

Nothing will be written to your existing harddrive. However, you always have to option to:

1. Image Backup the drive and it's partitions

2. Put that one aside (or disconnect), install spare, clean install Windows-7 and base drivers

... but it wouldn't say that was required for a BIOS flash. You should have done a backup of vital data files long before this happened.

18 Posts

October 14th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

thanks for the advice on the HD side of things.

In the BIOSFLASH pages they advice following:

"Copy your flashtool and the BIOS file onto the USB-Stick."

I am unclear on what is the "flashtool" that they refer to?

Tried quite few reboots with the stick and no joy so far.

Regards,

Rob

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 14th, 2012 13:00

"Copy your flashtool and the BIOS file onto the USB-Stick."

I am unclear on what is the "flashtool" that they refer to?

That would be the program or .exe that actually does the flashing. It's included in the set of files from Dell (BIOS update/flash package).

Yes, the bootable USB flash drive (you create) has to be working (bootable on a machine). You should probably test it on another machine to make sure it's setup/created properly and really works.

No Events found!