Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 12th, 2016 10:00

GTX 1070 with Alienware Graphics Amplifier

So I bought the GTX 1070 FE and I received it yesterday and have had 0 luck trying to get it to work with the Graphics Amplifier. To make matters worse, information is impossible to find online and what little information there is is all about the 1080. Please someone help. This is the screen that shows up when I boot with the 1070 in the AGA https://imgur.com/a/nUIsp

3 Posts

June 13th, 2016 09:00

I can't "swap to amplifier" because the amplifier isn't recognizing the card as being compatible.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 13th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

The current 1070 driver (Desktop version) must be used when the Amplifier is active.  This will not be the same driver in notebook mode without the amplifier since the current driver is 1070 only.  There will be an updated driver that will also include the notebooks near the end of June.  The recommendation is as follows:

1. Install latest NVidia notebook driver on notebook
  2. After swapping to Amplifier, install 1070 driver
  3. Keep both drivers as you may have to install either when you swap until the combined driver comes out.

You can also check this video to make sure it’s connected properly. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 13th, 2016 14:00

Is this the first card that you try on the amplifier, of did you have one before? Do you have any other card that you can try?

Did you make sure it is properly connected through the video attached?

If you boot with the amplifier disconnected, the plug it in and do the Fn + F1, when it reboots does it show the same error message?

1 Message

June 14th, 2016 12:00

I'm having the same issue as the original poster. The GTX 1070 is the first card I've used in the amplifier, and I don't have another card that I can try. What should I do?

62 Posts

June 15th, 2016 18:00

Direct from Nvidia or another manufacturer?  The FE version regardless, correct?

62 Posts

June 17th, 2016 11:00

Very odd that the 1080 would work fine, but he 1070 wouldn't, they should identify as very similar to the amp.

62 Posts

June 17th, 2016 12:00

Someone on the nvidia forum is reporting a DOA 1070 - won't even boot to BIOS with it installed, wonder if something similar is happening here but since it's in the AGA it throws a visible error.

13 Posts

June 20th, 2016 07:00

i have amplifier together with gtx 1070 and working perfect

62 Posts

June 20th, 2016 10:00

Yeah...I'm thinking there is a card issue with the original poster.  You did remember to plug in the aux power to the card, right?  I'd also try reseating the card and making sure the latch is fully engaged.

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 22:00

I installed the NVidia notebook drivers on my Alienware 17 R3 prior to purchasing the Graphics Amplifier and they ran without issue.  I picked up my Graphics Amplifier and EVGA 1070 SC card today.  Installed the card, plugged it all in and everything has run like a charm without issue (other than the font on my desktop went really small, changing the resolution and then back to 4K fixed this).

Firestrike gave me a combined score of 12.2K which I am happy with (I think the graphics score was around 15K).

The only annoying thing with the graphics amplifier was the fan noise from the casing.  I subsequently unplugged the fan to see how the card by itself would work....

Without the case fan running, the GPU temps appear to stand around the expected temp range whilst benchmarking with the card's maximum temperature sitting around 72-72 deg C and maxing out at 75 deg C.  Given that the room temp is around 28 deg C, I think that is normal, so unless I experience some throttling or temp issues, I will leave the cas fan unplugged.

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 08:00

Just to add some info here. I have the MSI 1070 Aero 8G OC and I had no problems with it in the GA.

However I agree with mick1601 the fan noise on the GA is quite excessive. will look at changing that out for a quieter model soon.

1 Message

August 11th, 2016 14:00

I just bought a Alienware graphics amplifying and I bought a GeForce 1070 but the box for the GeForce 1070 FE is EVGA does that mean I bought the wrong thing I'm worried i did

62 Posts

August 11th, 2016 17:00

The fan doesn't have a standard connector, so get ready for some soldering if you want to change it out.

My 1080 FE doesn't get above about 55 C with the front fan running, and honestly I don't think it is that noisy.  The sound the laptop made with all of the fans going full tilt while gaming was louder.

62 Posts

August 11th, 2016 17:00

You bought an EVGA brand 1070 FE - it is the same as all of the other FE cards using the 1070 chipset.  I think EVGA has a lifetime warranty if you register the card, making it better than most others.

No Events found!