Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 31st, 2017 05:00

Graphics amplifier causing poor performance

All of the sudden I am getting poor performance with my Radeon rx 480 I have hooked up through via graphics amplifier.  I am actually getting better performance from my Nvidia 970m internal, something is definitely wrong.  I tried playing Black Desert Online and I was getting 14 FPS on medium.  When I tried to adjust the graphics higher I got a warning saying that there was insufficient graphics card memory to do so.  There is 8GB of memory on this card, something is definitely screwed up and I don't know what.  I tried installing the freshest drivers all across my system and no luck yet.  My computer is definitely reading the Radeon rx 480 and when I unplug the cord in the back it defaults back to the Nividia 970m.  I have no clue what else to do but so far I have been really disappointed with the stability of the graphics amplifier. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 31st, 2017 10:00

Hi rynzos‌,

First make sure you follow the correct process for setting up the amplifier. You can follow the instructions on this video: Alienware Graphics Amplifier: Setup - YouTube 

Also, make sure you also have this driver installed. 

4 Posts

May 31st, 2017 17:00

I will try that driver.  I am pretty sure my amplifier is set up properly because I have gamed on it in the past successfully but I will look that over as well. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 1st, 2017 10:00

Ok, let me know!

4 Posts

June 4th, 2017 19:00

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the video card running through the amplifier.  Did not help at all as I am getting 10-12 fps no matter what setting I am on.  When I run my internal Nvidia 970m I get much better performance, does not make any sense why this would run so poorly trying to run external graphics.  I ran GPU-Z and everything is showing up and reading properly.  I am thinking about selling my RX 480 and throwing away my graphics amplifier and just running with my Nvidia 970m, very disappointed with this product.  The graphics amplifier also does not allow my computer to go into "sleep" mode as it removes the option entirely from my computer.  Also, my RX 480 seats properly in the amplifier but I cannot close the lid on the amplifier.  Heavily disappointed ....

4 Posts

June 5th, 2017 00:00

I believe I fixed the issue and I'd like to share how.  Under "Radeon additional settings" I went in and changed BDO online to "high performance."  It was previously defaulted to "balanced."  I went from 8-15 fps on high to 40-60.

No Events found!