Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2010 23:00

HELP! Alienware FX/Command Center failure after fresh Windows 7 install! Aurora

Greetings everyone,

To my despair, I just saw a post from a Dell employee stating that if settings are changed on the system board through a bad command center installation, I might need a board replacement. I hope this isn't the case...

Let me explain what I've done so far...

After having a super nasty bot, I did a fresh install of 7. In the process, I believe I deleted the restoration partition as well.

After getting 7 back on the computer, I've reinstalled the drivers and command center. For whatever reason, the Alienware FX/Command Center is not working. I have no lights on the computer. I get no data for temps. I can't handle temp. settings dealing with fans and the like.

I followed the advice of another user and used the diagnostic utility disc and have run all the tests. This didn't reset the MIO board as he suggested it would. All tests are coming back as pass. At this point, after several clean 7 installs, driver installs and the latest command center, I'm not sure what else to do.

Where do I go from here? Is it time to call technical support?

Thanks in advance!

372 Posts

November 19th, 2010 08:00

First off, what was the delivery date of your PC?  This matters if you got your PC in Aug/Sept 2009 or earlier, you have differant drivers to install.  If after, you need to install the Dell drivers.  The drivers also need to be installed in a certain order to work.  You might have corrupted your daughter board.  I went through 2, before getting one that flashed correctly.  This was with AW doing the reinstall of my drivers too.

8 Posts

November 19th, 2010 12:00

The purchase date was october 2009 and I have the aurora that was launched in its major revision.

8 Posts

November 19th, 2010 14:00

Aka, I think I need a new board. 

8 Posts

UPDATE: After a run of the Fxtester, the software is stating the board is not detected and that something appears to be wrong with it. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Since it was working before the virus infection, I doubt it's broken. It's likely just locked up or in a loop.

The Alienware Diagnostics will often reset this condition of the MIO-Board. There is also a green "Default Jumper" that can be operated on the MIO-Board to reset it's micro-controller.

8 Posts

November 19th, 2010 15:00

Hey thanks again for the help Tesla1856.

So I ran the fxtester and it was coming back as "There appears to be a problem with the board."

The Alienware Diagnostics didn't have a test for anything called the MIO-Board.

If I were to use the Default Jumper, what would I do?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

So I ran the fxtester and it was coming back as "There appears to be a problem with the board."

Are you referring to AlienwareAlienFXTester.exe ? If so, it doesn't hurt to try it.

However, you should know it is not a very good test to use when the board is completely offline. For this program to work, there is a whole list of things that have to be just right. Usually, by the time those conditions are all met, the normal Command Center sub-apps are already working.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

The Alienware Diagnostics didn't have a test for anything called the MIO-Board.

Are you doing this exactly? I don't understand how the MIO-Board Test can not be listed.

Insert Diagnostics CD (you burnt)
Press F12 a few times
Select CD/DVD-ROM drive

... then

Test System
Custom Test
- Master I/O USB Device (MIO Board)
Run Test

(it should say Passed)

To see if MIO Board is connected and communicating with MotherBoard, run this test:
USB, USB AW G2 Desktop, USB Device Ping Test

If the above tests Pass, you can also test:
Fans, Sensors, LEDs, MIO Cable Detections

If the above fail, you should open the Aurora and make sure the MIO Board
is connected to the MB properly:
MIO Board connects to MB with 26pin cable, that splits to 3 cables. Those 3 cable plugs connect to the
motherboard at USB1, USB2, and Front_Panel sockets.

Also, make sure the large 4-pin Molex power connector is connected to the MIO-Board.

Obviously, when touching or checking anything inside the Aurora, it must be completely shut-down, turned off, and UN-PLUGGED! When finished messing around inside, it's ok to run it temporarily with the side cover removed.

8 Posts

November 20th, 2010 05:00

Hey again everyone,

So I completed the driver reinstallation in the order recommended. Still nothing. No data on temps and no ability to change any colors on the FX settings sub-app.

I completed a full check of all connections between the MIO board and the Mo-Bo. All wires are in correct spots and everything is fastened securely. 

Not sure what this means but (and I saw another user Tesla was helping having this issue), I have my Serial ATA under device manager showing up as installed improperly/missing drivers.

8 Posts

November 20th, 2010 05:00

Also Tesla,

There is no MIO test under any section of the custom tests. 

I've checked under USB. Nothing. I've run every test possible and nothing relates to MIO.

Interesting to me though is that under System Board Cable Check, Front Panel USB Cable 2 is "not installed". 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 20th, 2010 13:00

I have my Serial ATA under device manager showing up as installed improperly/missing drivers.

Since you have the Aurora, only the Silicon Image (SIL) driver is required. You didn't try installing the Area-51's JMicron did you?

Just delete it in DM and reinstall the Dell SIL driver

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I completed a full check of all connections between the MIO board and the Mo-Bo. All wires are in correct spots and everything is fastened securely. 

Just to verify ... You did make sure the 4 pin Molex power cable is connected to the MIO-Board? It looks like an old-school drive power cable plug.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

There is no MIO test under any section of the custom tests. 

I've checked under USB. Nothing. I've run every test possible and nothing relates to MIO.

Well, that is strange. Until you can get the MIO Board tests to show up and be tested in Dell Diagnostics you really don't need to go any further.

Have you tried using the green Default Jumper? Chris wasn't sure exactly how it works, so try both of these procedures:

Shut down. Move the green jumper on the MIO board to the other 2 pins. Boot into Windows. Shut down. Put jumper back on original pins and startup again.

Shut down. Remove the green jumper off the MIO board. Boot into Windows. Shut down. Put jumper back on original pins and startup again.

After doing it both ways, then:

Shut down and boot Diagnostics CD and see if the MIO Board test show up now.

8 Posts

November 24th, 2010 22:00

Ok...

So after testing the jumper both ways and ensuring everything is plugged in (the amber power light is ON on the MIO board.), I've got nothing. The diagnostics software isn't showing the MIO Board.

What else can I do besides ordering another MIO board to confirm the board is bad?

Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 24th, 2010 23:00

Are you running the special Alienware version of Dell Diagnostics? The file I downloaded was AW1382A0.exe .

Have you checked the BIOS and made sure the USB ports are still enabled?

The MIO-Board connects to the MB in 3 places. Since 2 of those are USB headers, is there a chance they got switched around?

No Events found!