Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2010 22:00

How to replace the PSU on an Alienware Aurora

I've just tried to upgrade my Aurora's video card, and when I did, I heard this awful fan noise from the PSU.  So I decided to take the upgraded video cards (going from 1 to 2 cards) out and put the original back in.  Since I bought the 525 watt version of the PSU, I want to know how I can switch out my PSU, because it looks very complicated.  

August 12th, 2010 22:00

Had that issue myself, ordered 875psu got a 525psu, rang support guy came out 2 days later and replaced it, i thought it was complicated to but as i observed the tech do it he put the system on its side he unscrewed the back plastic mount attachments on the psu unscrewed a couple of screws(it happened very fast) and he slid the Psu out and slid the new one in, all the connectors are in the back of the chassis  you dont hve to unplug any of the MB GPU HDD's or anything it just slides out, however just get in contact with chris just to make sure(he might have a diag for it somewhere)

Hope this helps

Jay

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 12th, 2010 23:00

... ordered 875psu got a 525psu ... 

How did you find out. How do we check for 875w (as ordered) ?

August 13th, 2010 06:00

Tricky one that, the wattage is written on the side of the psu which is buried behind all the plastic add on bits so in order to check it you gotta take it out(see description in my last post) however the tech did it not me(i have learned not to touch the computer whilst under warranty, your covered keep it that way, let the tech's do the work, the thing was that i had ordered the 875w and when i received the pc the cable loom had a 525w sticker attached to it, not being happy i rang they called out but as it turned out they had put a 875w in they just hadnt changed the loom to reflect that so when the tech pulled it out i saw "875w" on the side and observed a new "875w" go in, there are software bits 'n bobs out there to tell you what kinda wattage your psu is throwing out to your GPU CPU etc. etc...... but i have also learned to start staying away from 3rd party software the Alienware aurora is a very delicate machine(software wise) so keep stuff ya really dont need away from it...........

i just got CC working after 3 months(thats another story)

2.4K Posts

August 14th, 2010 08:00

Make sure you check the one the tech is installing. When I first got my system the PSU was bad and had to be replaced. I have the 1100w. Well the tech came here with the new one and I didnt bother to look. He installed the 1000w PSU. I had to call tech support and have another one sent.

62 Posts

August 14th, 2010 13:00

Do you want to use a Alienware PSU or do you want to buy a new one???

It should be possible to use ones with fans on the top but im not 100% shure.

If you want to do so you should buy a one from Enermax with 80Plus Gold.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 16th, 2010 18:00

The easiest (and likely the best) thing to do is order the larger Aurora X58 875watt power supply. It's also uses modular wiring and it appears the same wiring harness is used for both the P55 and X58 models.

The reason it will be tricky to use an aftermarket ... the connector contact panel for the removable side panel is bolted to the side of the PS. You will have to be pretty handy to get that moved and working. Not to mention ... you will likely have to swap out some of the modular wiring (I don't think there's an universal spec between PS makers).

15 Posts

April 12th, 2011 14:00

Is there a power supply larger than 875W compatible with a new Aurora R3 with the Sandy bridge I7-2600K cpu?  Looks like the 875W installed in the Aurora R3 has many 12V rails at 18amps making hard to get it working in SLI without the trip switch in the back flicking some Rail off. Had my system emit a short beep and the GFX cards where shutdown while gaming last night. So I would buy a 1K to 1.5K PSU to have a gaming system that works, at this point 300$ is not the issue.

This Aurora R3 was a replacement for my XPS 730x H2C and it feels like it can only do the minimum I need it to.

15 Posts

April 13th, 2011 08:00

Anyone tried this for extra power "Thermaltake W0157RU 450W". This PSU fist's in the 5 1/4 drive bay but you have to run a power cord trough the back the the case to power it. But it then offers 2x6Pin + 2x8pit PCI-E power connector. Might have to drill a hole somewhere with this to go SLI.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1207&ID=1543

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 13th, 2011 12:00

Some of the Area-51 owners have used the similar FSP Booster model.

Yes, with SLI you will have to mod the case. Might as well install the AC connector there by the card slots grill area.

Also, be aware of this PCIe power-draw issue:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19346132/19832875.aspx?PageIndex=6

If you are good working inside PCs (and like to re-wire and mod.) ... you might be a candidate to try installing an aftermarket power-supply.

15 Posts

April 13th, 2011 17:00

trying not to void the warranty in the first month lol. Thanks for the info. This looks like a good solution for 90$ vs 300$ and the work required to replace the PSU.

Would be nice if AW offered a 1K PSU that fit in the hole and use the same connector, 4 x 12V rail at 18A is the worst I've seen in the 850W to 900W PSU and there we have it from this "most upgradeable mATX computer".

No Events found!