Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 18th, 2017 19:00

Is there a fix for this multiple driver failure/issue?

So I have an Alienware 15 R2 that I bought less than a year ago. Every once and a while, it will encounter some sort of error, mainly appcrash and driver failure, occasionally BSoD. This has started becoming more and more frequent (used to happen about once every 2 months, now it happens multiple times a week) and I can't find a fix for this. It gets bad to a point where I can't use the laptop for days. About a week ago I also discovered an issue with the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Manager. Is there anything I can do short of sending it to Dell to attempt to fix? 

15 Posts

Also my AlienFX has error-ed too

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Does it pass ePSA Diagnostics (outside of Windows)?

15 Posts

March 19th, 2017 12:00

Passes with flying colors

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 19th, 2017 12:00

Cozzie_chov wrote:

Passes with flying colors

Well, that good (but not all telling unfortunately). Hardware might still be bad/flakey. You want to try to identify either hardware or software as the cause.

So do you want to try the long, drawn-out, and usually un-certain process of trying to identify cause of crash and/or BSOD? Or, would you rather just clean-install Windows (or Restore to either Microsoft or Dell's default load).

Oh, paying someone to fix it is another option. Only so much we can do in a forum if your skills are beginner-class.

15 Posts

March 19th, 2017 17:00

I'm not entirely certain that a clean install of windows 10 will fix it

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 19th, 2017 18:00

No, neither am I. However, that is the accepted way to try to determine if it's "hardware or software".

You should also make sure you are running the latest BIOS. However, that can be tricky if machine is unstable. At the least, I would do that from DOS (outside of Windows). If it crashes during firmware update, it will likely "brick" or kill the motherboard.

You can Macrium Reflect Free v6.x Image Backup the whole system first (if you are worried about losing your current config). You need a backup anyway. Other way is to drop in a spare (perfectly working HDD or SSD), and clean install to that instead.

As I said, if your skills are low ... you might be better off seeking professional assistance.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 20th, 2017 15:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag, so I can assist you further.

15 Posts

May 14th, 2017 21:00

Well so far its been more than a month. After 2 re-installations of Windows 10, and many, many diagnostic tests done, both by me and by Alienware support, nothing has changed, except for the fact that on the latest re-installation, done about half a week ago, I no longer have the Windows Store on my laptop. Just plain bizarre. I have another phone call with Alienware tomorrow. 

No Events found!