Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 23rd, 2016 21:00

Kernel Power 41 63 while playing games

Greetings:

I have an Alienware Auroa R4.  Been with it for almost 3 years and it has been a great computer for me.  I have updated from Win 7 to Win 10 and everything has been working very well till a few days ago when the trouble started.  Every time I play any game, the computer completely reboots and goes back to the log in screen.  I checked the event log and found the kernel-power 41 task category 63.  As I looked at the information for answers,  I found out mostly that this could be a PSU problem.  I remember that a year ago I had a similar deal that involved the PSU.  But I made some changes to the Power Option settings and everything went fine.  However, this time I checked and made the changes and was still getting the kernel issue.  I have tried other solutions like sfc, chkdsk, win 10 advance troubleshooting and diagnostics and nothing has helped the problem.

When checking for more solutions I thought I tried to download speedfan program to see if the psu acting out normal.  I got to see the cpu went up as high as 70 degrees when playing a game.  Not sure if that would be a normal deal or that is way high.  I know that I played once and everything seems fine.  Tried a second time and the computer rebooted once the cpu went to 70 degrees once more.

Show you the specs of my comp.

Service Tag
Service tag removed per privacy policy>
Express Service Code
Express service code removed per privacy policy>
Computer Model
Aurora-R4
BIOS Vendor
Alienware
BIOS Version
A11
BIOS Date
11/26/2013
OS Version
Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Processor

Manufacturer
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz
Clock Speed
3.7Ghz
L2 Cache Size

Memory

Available Memory
77.69 %
Page File Size
33,710.1MB
Available Page File
100.00 %
Virtual Memory
33,710.1MB
Available Virtual Memory
86.30 %
DIMM1
4,096.0MB
DIMM2
4,096.0MB
DIMM3
4,096.0MB
DIMM4
4,096.0MB

Network Card

Adaptor
Description

Storage

Drive
C:
Type
Drive Size
1,862.5GB
Total Available Space
1,690.6GB
Used Space
171.9GB
Drive
D:
Type
Drive Size
0.1GB
Total Available Space
0.0GB
Used Space
0.1GB

Hardware

Type
Description
DVD/CD-ROM Drives
PLDS DVD+-RW DH-24AWS
Disk Drives
ST2000DM001-1CH164
Display Adapters
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
Keyboards,Mice & Pointing Devices
USB Input Device
Monitors
Dell ST2321L_Digital
Sound Devices
Realtek High Definition Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
USB Controllers
Intel(R) C600/X79 series chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller #2 - 1D2D
Intel(R) C600/X79 series chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller #1 - 1D26
Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
As for the Kernel Power event:
- System
- Provider
[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}
EventID 41
Version 3
Level 1
Task 63
Opcode 0
Keywords 0x8000400000000002
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2016-05-24T00:00:35.370679000Z
EventRecordID 8167
Correlation
- Execution
[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8
Channel System
Computer Skyfire
- Security
[ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0

Can I get any solutions to solve this issue?  Do I need to change the PSU?  Do I need to revert back to Windows 7?  Are there any other ways I can change in the computer that will stop this error?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Eric / Skyewyse

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 24th, 2016 15:00

Hello,

Could you please download BlueScreenView and send me an screenshot with the errors you’re getting?

4 Posts

May 24th, 2016 20:00

Greetings:

Sent in the screenshot so it can be checked.  And thank you for that little program there.  Been wondering how I can replicate the blue screen detail deal.  The screenshot was set on the options area.  Hope you are able to identify the situation.

Also, small question.  Do you have any suggestions on getting a very good psu for the my Alienware?  Been looking at EVGA models over 1000 watts, but would like your input before I purchase one.

Thank you very much for the assistance.

Eric / Skyewyse

1 Attachment

4 Posts

May 25th, 2016 11:00

Greetings:

The cables for Nvidia have been double check to be sure.  The sleep / hibernation buttons were not used.  No Digital Power Supply available to do any test for it.

Still getting the same issue, when making the check up and see if something changed.

Any other suggestions before I have to upgrade or try another solution, let me know.

Thank you for the assistance.

Eric / Skyewyse

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

With this error, first thing I would do is disable all Sleep and Hibernation settings and see how it goes.

If you still have problems:

1. Be sure NVidia 970 has a cable connected from both PCIe power cables ... both 12v rails.

2. Reseat all cables, cards, and components

3. Test Power Supply with Digital Power Supply tester (voltage and PG signal). Also, try to test some outputs (as allowed) under load for proper voltage.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Thanks for the image. Please try running the Dell diagnostics through F12. Tap the F12 key at the Dell splash screen on start-up and choose Diagnostics (Enter ePSA) from the menu. Let me know if there is any error. Here is an article that might help.

Also, please download HD Tune. Once installed, check on the health tab and see if there is any failure.

In case both come back ok, a factory restore/Windows reset could be needed.

Regarding the PSU, the most that we have certified on the Alienware Aurora R4 is 875W.

4 Posts

May 26th, 2016 12:00

Did two things that prolly fixed the whole issue.

I used the DDU and when I started doing the installation I found out that Nvidia already made the new update on the diver (5/23 - version 368.22) and also I did a change on the audio.  I read in another forum about having an issue with having a computer sound and video driver sound.  Checked that I have both the nvidia driver sound on along with my realtek sound up.  Took out the nvidia sound off and started playing the game (world of warcraft) and to my relief, no issues.  Playing fine once more.  Did not reset the computer or had a freeze show up.

Thank you very much for your assistance on this issue Tesla.  Really appreciate it.  

Eric / Skyewyse

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 26th, 2016 13:00

You are welcome. Glad I could help.

Thanks for posting your detailed trouble-shooting procedures (for others to find later). Keep us posted on issue.

No Events found!