Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2015 10:00

Keyboard Buttons Don't Work

I have an Alienware Aurora which the Dell support page identifies as "Late 2009" (i.e., no model number).  It has a plain keyboard, not a TactX model, with buttons for controlling audio and video playback.  I recently had to reinstall Windows, and since then the a/v buttons don't work.  I presume I need a driver, but the keyboard drivers Dell support offers me are for TactX keyboards, and don't activate the a/v buttons on my keyboard.  Can somebody give me a link to download the proper driver for my keyboard?

24 Posts

January 10th, 2015 13:00

I solved the problem by restarting the Human Interface Device Access service and setting it to Automatic.  Thanks for the other suggestions.

• 

2.7K Posts

January 7th, 2015 12:00

We don’t have any driver for that keyboard since windows is the one who controls those keys, you can try to check in the windows updates to see if you find one that helps you. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 7th, 2015 14:00

I have an Aurora R1 and "Alienware branded" SK-8165 USB keyboard.

Milena is correct, no additional Dell drivers are required for buttons to work. Try Mute and Volume buttons ... do they work?

Did you install drivers like this:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19376654

Also see Dell links lower down in my doc.

24 Posts

January 10th, 2015 12:00

@Alienware-Milena:  Thanks for the suggestion, but I've updated everything that Windows Update will update, and the buttons still don't work.

24 Posts

January 10th, 2015 12:00

@Tesla1856:  Thanks for the advice.  Wish I'd had that link before I reinstalled Windows!

No, the mute and volume buttons don't work.

I didn't install the drivers as you suggest in your document, but I installed all the keyboard drivers I could find on the Dell support site.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 11th, 2015 19:00

I solved the problem by restarting the Human Interface Device Access service and setting it to Automatic.  Thanks for the other suggestions.

Glad you found a solution. But like we said, no extra drivers were required.
My HID-DA Service is set to Manual, but always starts itself on reboot. Not sure why yours doesn't, but it might have something to do with the way your initially loaded your other required drivers, or the other un-needed KB drivers you installed (trying to get this to work).

No Events found!