Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

June 6th, 2014 17:00

Laptop fan won't stop.

I've had my Alienware 17 for about a year now and it has started to act up. A while after turning it on the fans will start going at max speed and it just wont stop no matter what. Before this the fans would just start while playing a demanding game, and stop a while after i was done, but now they just keep going until i turn it off. I've also noticed that right before they start my Chrome browser closes and re-opens with all the tabs I was using untouched.

Thank you in advance for your time, I hope I can finds some answers here. I've done some research but havent been able to find anything useful. The temperature on the processor and gpu stays around 40-mid50s during this whole ordeal btw

1.8K Posts

June 6th, 2014 20:00

Hi!

Try to re-install the Command Center by following these steps:

1. Uninstall Alienware Command Center from the Control Panel.
  2. Download latest Alienware Command Center from support.dell.com according to your system.
  3. Uninstall .Net Framework 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5.
  4. Restart the computer.
  5. Install .Net Framework 3.5 and 4.5.
  6. Install the Command Center.

Let me know how it goes

June 6th, 2014 21:00

Hey, thanks for the reply. I uninstalled the command center but I cant find where to download it again for the life of me

1.8K Posts

June 9th, 2014 11:00

You can download the latest Command Center 3.5 here

June 9th, 2014 17:00

Hey Naomi, Thanks a lot for your help. I have found and solved (I think) the problem. I'll download command center anyways since I've already deleted it.

I decided to check on my processes in the task manager to see if there was anything unusual that might be causing my laptop to heat up therefore activating the fans. I found a process called rundll32.exe was using up a lot of my cpu. When i manually ended it the fans turned off in a matter of seconds, and temperatures starting going back to normal. I tried finding out what was causing it (Since I couldn't just delete rundll32.exe from my system32 folder) but after hours and hours of searching and trying I couldn't get it fixed. I decided to try a system restore, a couple of days before I started having problems and apparently it got rid of whatever was causing the problem. My laptop has been just fine for the past 24 hours.

Once again thank you, even though I couldn't find the answer here you tried to help :)

1.8K Posts

June 10th, 2014 15:00

I'm glad to hear you found a resolution to your problem! If you have any other questions let me know. 

No Events found!