Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2012 19:00

M11x R2 Problem while gaming

I bought this computer back in august (i believe) 2010. Just starting the past week, I've been having a problem with the computer randomly shutting off while gaming. There is no windows shutting off procedure, just simply in the middle of a game, it would automatically shut itself down. The shutdown is completely immediate, like taking out the battery. 

This problem only happens during games. I'm thinking it is an overheating problem, but I would like to have someone else's opinion as well. What should I do? 

42 Posts

January 10th, 2012 00:00

test your ram and check all  your temperatures 10 min into a game if possible

January 10th, 2012 16:00

checked ram. seems fine. Temps were rediculous. CPU 83ish.

Then I tried cleaning the heatsink with compressed air. Ton of dust came out.

So far, problem seemed solved. Temps hitting 65ish (CPU) after 30min gaming.

28 Posts

January 10th, 2012 16:00

Biggest problems with the M11x is in the small form of it. It will collect dust like a vaccum cleaner if you let it. Alot of times dust will collect between the fan and the blades if the heats sink (the rdiator portion if you will) and impede the air flow. When I go onsite to repair random shutdowns associated with heat, this is generally the cause. I'm sure you've thought of this already but the next time you blow it out, Blow it out from the vent into the machine with the plate off. Also, trap the fan blades so the don't spin, some cans of CompAir will sppin the fan fast enough to break the blades off.

January 15th, 2012 21:00

Thanks for the tips HAACHA! No shutdowns at all since I cleaned out the heatsink. 

28 Posts

January 16th, 2012 14:00

No worries, glad to be of help. You won't have to clean the heatSink all the time, but it's always a good thing to keep in mind when you do maintainence on the system.

No Events found!