Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2013 19:00

M14x Left Hinge Cracked, Battery Shorting Out.

I bought an Alienware M14x about a year and a half ago. Within the first 8 months the Battery started shorting out and would sometimes stop working and refuse to charge. I was never given an answer to this via customer support and no help was ever given.

Several months later, when I had my laptop for about a year the left hinge cracked when i opened my laptop. I opened it normally and i did not open it extremely far. I lived between my mum's and my dad's houses and often had to carry it around in a laptop case, which may have caused some problems, I'm not sure.

I called customer support and was told to give the express support key (or something along those lines), but it was not on the bottom of my laptop and i could not open the laptop in fear of damaging it more. The customer support guy was somewhat helpful and pulled up information from when I ordered the product. He gave me an email to send pictures of the laptop to so they could assess if it was accidental damage or covered under warranty. It was eventually decided to be accidental damage and I was told I would be sent an email with information on where to send my laptop to be repaired. I was also told that the battery problem would be checked out when it got there.

I never got the email, but I was packing up for university and didn't have time to call in again. Finally I've moved and adjusted to life, got all my things here and tried to call customer support again to try and get the information on where to send it. I was told I have to get my dad to sign into his dell account (if he even remembers it) to get the information and that the person on the phone wasn't going to give it to me even though I had already explained that I called previously and never received the email with that information.

Can someone on here help me out, because frankly my dad is busy and forgetful, so it will be a pain to get him to try and get his account information and figure out where I'm suppose to send this, especially with the vague directions to "get your father to sign in and find the information". This is getting extremely frustrating and its been six months since the hinge broke and I originally tried to deal with it. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 18th, 2013 07:00

Amanda E.,

Sorry your having problems. Via private message (click my username and then click Start Conversation) send me the following information so I can read through the Dell logs -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone number:
Dell Computer Service Tag Number:
Reason: M14x Battery and Hinge issues

2 Posts

February 19th, 2013 09:00

I cant get the service tag number. I dont want to further damage the laptop by opening it and it's not on the bottom.

835 Posts

February 19th, 2013 10:00

Hi Amanda, just as a suggestion so that you can provide Chris with the information he requested, try to find the order number for when you purchased the system, maybe you still have it on your e-mail. Also, if you still have the box, the service tag should be there too.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 19th, 2013 16:00

If you can boot up into the Bios (F2), the service tag is on the 1st screen.

No Events found!