Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2013 09:00

M14x R1 (Intel Graphics HD 3000 to Nvidia GeForce GT 430)

So I have an Alienware M14x R1 that i purchased last February. I am having issues with the graphics card unit. I bought this laptop mainly for gaming and some school work. Lately I have been playing the Dolphin emulator, and I was playing Starfox Adventures, which I noticed was really laggy and choppy, and the audio was often out of sync during the cut scenes. No matter how much I changed the configs in Dolphin it still was at least a little choppy during gameplay. I decided to try out Need for Speed Rivals for the PC and shortly after the download completed I realized that I simply was not going to be able to play this game on my graphics card. I have read on a few websites that Need for Speed Rivals does not like the Intel HD Graphics cards. Since I use this laptop mainly for gaming, I was wondering if I could install my already-purchased Nvidia GeForce GT 430 (purchased several years ago, never installed) I would really like some feedback on swapping graphic cards on my laptop, because my little brother tried installing this very graphics card ( We bought two) and it fried his desktop, making it completely useless.

Now, I just got my Alienware back from the repair shop. I set it on the roof of my car and drove away without putting it in. 5 Months later and $1,000 later I have it back. So needless to say, I don't want to screw anything up. Just wondering if my specific model supports the GPU i am going to be swapping?

2.4K Posts

I feel extremely retarded. Completely forgot that we ordered these for our desktops. Please disregard this thread.

Your M14x has a dedicated GPU already. You need to make sure that when you are gaming it is switching from the integrated intel HD3000 GPU to the dedicated Nvidia. Also, the Nvidia card on the M14x is built into the motherboard and can not be replaced so even if you had a new GPU card you still couldn't install it.

6 Posts

I feel extremely retarded. Completely forgot that we ordered these for our desktops. Please disregard this thread.

No Events found!