Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2013 00:00

M14x-R2 screen static

For several months(5-6) I've been experiencing screen static on my laptop.  However the problem cannot be captured with a screen shot, and is temporarily resolved(for a day or two) by changing the resolution to a lower setting, then reverting back to the original size.  Here is a picture I captured with my smartphone:
http://i.imgur.com/DyGOzGK.jpg

Thank you in advance for any help you can lend me!

4 Posts

November 14th, 2013 10:00

Thank you for the response,  the static does not appear when the laptop is connected to an external monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

BadgerU,

Boot the operating system into safemode. Do you see the static while in this mode?
If no, then the culprit could be the video card or the video card driver. Try reinstalling the Dell WHQL video card driver.
If yes, then the cabling connecting the LCD to the motherboard could be at fault or loose.

Another test is to boot the M14x-R2 into normal mode. Connect an external monitor to the VGA or HDMI out on the side of the M14x-R2. Does the external monitor show the static?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

what about the safemode?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 14th, 2013 11:00

If you never see the issue in safemode, that points to the video card or video card driver in normal mode as the culprit. Have you tested using the latest retail driver?

4 Posts

November 14th, 2013 11:00

So far I haven't been able to replicate the issue while in safe mode.  However, this could be due to intermittent nature of the static. 

2 Posts

November 26th, 2013 18:00

I am experiencing the same issue as described above. It randomly happens (although very seldom) when switching (ALT+TAB) from games to desktop. When I encounter this issue, switching back to game solves it and then switching back to desktop works just fine. Don't know, what the problem is. I'm using W7 x64 Ultimate with newest nVidia drivers 331.82 acquired via update button in nVidia control panel. And I'm using VGA output.

The newest drivers I am using right now do it on freshly re-installed system but this issue happened even before reinstalling it. And I used older drivers back then.

Didn't remember whether this happened on the laptop screen itself or on my 2nd HDMI connected display, but the VGA connected display does it. But as I said, it happens very seldom.

4 Posts

January 5th, 2014 22:00

The solution for my problem ended up being a complete replacement of the laptop display, and a rollback to the OEM nvidia drivers.  Hope this helps, going on a month now now issues have cropped up.

No Events found!