Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2013 01:00

M17x R2 Won't Boot/Screen Blank

This problem started after I let the battery in my M17x run dead a couple days ago. Now when I press the power button, the leftmost fan whirs very loudly and the keyboard lights up, but the screen stays blank until I remove the battery/power cord. There's no backlight, no sounds, nothing on the screen at all. I've tried taking the battery out, doing a deep reset, attempting to start the BIST, pretty much everything I can think of, but it just doesn't work.

In case you need more details, the problem is pretty much exactly the same as the one described here: http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19462593.aspx 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need my laptop operational again as soon as possible. 

901 Posts

January 14th, 2013 03:00

Try doing a complete power drain, here is the precedure

1. Disconnect power cord and remove battery.

2. Turn laptop over and remove rear cover (two screws).

3. Find a small battery in the shape of a coin and disconnect from motherboard ( It should be just beside the center cooling fan).

4. Leaving everything disconnected turn the laptop over and hold down the power button (alien head) and count slowly to 20

5. Turn laptop over, reconnect EVERYTHING and try switching the laptop on with battery and power cord connected

Good luck....

January 14th, 2013 13:00

I did exactly as directed, but this didn't work. The original problem still persists.

901 Posts

January 14th, 2013 22:00

Sorry, I forgot to ask, can you get anything to appear on the screen at all?

Have you tried booting with just power and no battery?

January 14th, 2013 23:00

No, I cannot get anything to appear at all. And yes, I have tried booting without the battery, but it yielded no results.

January 15th, 2013 08:00

Hello Lucky Mouse,

Follow the steps from this link to diagnose your system.

General Video Troubleshooting

January 15th, 2013 09:00

I've literally done everything listed there already. Nothing shows up on an external monitor, I can't adjust the brightness because the screen literally does not come on. And the BIST can't be accsessed, because once again nothing shows up on the screen.

January 15th, 2013 11:00

Lucky Mouse

I sent you a friend request, please accept it and send me a PM with your service tag, phone number, and the link for this thread so I can review your case.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2013 09:00

I am having this exact same issue. If you could also help me resolve this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

835 Posts

April 16th, 2013 15:00

Hi Sug4rFree,

What's the model of your system?

1 Message

April 27th, 2013 02:00

Hi,

I have the exact same problem on a R2 version, not booting up with lights on and fans spinning.

Chris

June 5th, 2013 20:00

Hiya, Were these issues ever sorted, as now my M17X R2 is doing exactly the same thing!

Regards

Martin

2 Posts

June 6th, 2013 08:00

Hey,

When I did a hard power reset by disconnecting the button battery underneath the laptop as well as taking out the main battery this did the trick for me. It let me boot and then I did a re-install of windows 8 using a DVD.

Hope this helps.

June 6th, 2013 21:00

Cheers, I tried the hard reset a couple of times and no joy. I'll give it another couple of attempts, ya never know I might get lucky :)

I'm guessing Dell didn't give an indication of what may have caused this problem in the first place, as there does seem to be a fair few cases of this happening.

regards

June 14th, 2013 17:00

Hi,

Follow the steps on this article. By any chance, do you have the Caps, Num, Scrolllock LED's blinking?

1 Message

July 19th, 2013 03:00

hello, 

i had the same problem with my computer so we took it to a few computer shops and they could not figure what the problem was except for the last shop we took it to, they took it apart and had a look at the motherboard, the problem ended up being that the type of computer gets really hot (and i am a hardcore gamer) it started to melt the soldering on the bottom of the motherboard, so they re-soldered it all and now it works perfectally

No Events found!