Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2013 12:00

M17x-R3, Nvidia 580M, Intermittent Problem (Crashes, 8-beep)

I hope someone here will have suggestions on how to fix this problem.  

I have an M17x R3 with 580M and a premium LCD screen for 3D. The warrantee ran out about a year ago and just before then, the LCD screen was replaced along with some repairs to the frame. At that time all the drivers on the system were also checked and any needed updates made.  Since then the only driver I have updated is the video.

From that point, the computer ran flawlessly until 11/11/2013. It then had a single crash then worked normally for several days. Since then the crashes have become more and more frequent. Initially I thought they might be heat related and it is possible the computer overheated at some point, although I had used compressed air to blow out the vents I did not open it until the crashes became more frequent and the heatsinks had accumulated lint.

My initial diagnosis based on the lint was a heat-related video card failure. I cleaned out the lint with the hope that maybe nothing was damaged and it would work ok once the overheating was eliminated.

However, the computer continues to run off and on, sometime experiencing periods where it will run fine for a full day, other days crashing within minutes everytime I try to boot it up or even going to the 8-beep error code.  It seems to crash faster when there is a heavier load on the system (crashes sooner if attempting to play Skyrim than it does idle or browsing).

Hardware testing during longer stable periods has come back with everything checking out fine. Running a GPU status logger records no temperatures much over 60C while online sources suggest it should run to 77C before the overheating limiter kicks in. No significant changes in the GPU status (temp, clock speeds, memory usage) occurred before crashes. Given how far below the limit this is, I'm not sure the amount of lint I cleared out would have caused it to get to the point of causing heat related damage.

Most of the time it runs stable in safe mode -- I have yet to experience a crash while running in safe mode, but have not left it running in that mode for as long a period of time.

I have been using NVidia's GeForce experience to stay on the latest drivers.  I noticed there was a new driver around the time the crashes started so tried doing a roll-back. For a couple hours I thought that had worked then the crashes started again. It was at this point I first experienced the 8-beep code.

An 8-beep error code is indicated to be an LCD failure. I'm not sure how an LCD failure would cause the entire system to shut down rather than the screen just going blank. I'm also not sure whether it might simply be a loose connection on the LCD since it seems intermittent.

Anyone have suggestions on what to try at this point? If it's the video card I'll replace it, but I'd hate to replace the video card then need to replace the LCD or vice versa, or replace them and still not be able to fix the problem, or replace them and find out it's fixable without a major hardware purchase.

3 Posts

November 20th, 2014 06:00

Thanks for the post.  I updated to the same 331.65 video driver to no avail.  I also updated the system bios to A12 from A10.  One difference I see is my 580m is running the 70.24.2b.00.06 bios and you are on the older 70.24.2b.00.04.  Do you have throttling issues?  I believe that is why they released the .06 bios, but I'd rather have throttling than nothing, so I think I will re-flash with the older bios and try that later today.

I hate to bother you again, but could you possibly tell me what settings you have in your nVidia Control Panel DoubleGeeBar?  I was tinkering with them last night, but didn't see any results.  It would be great if it was as minimally invasive as your case to get it back working!

Beyond that, I'm attempting to find someone local to test they GPUs I have to at least rule that out.  I bought a second heat sink, so I'll try that with one of the other cards too.  I'm thinking/hoping that the MXM slot on the motherboard is the culprit, so I may just have to wait until my other board is sent out to test.   

Cheers and Thanks,

Gav

30 Posts

November 20th, 2014 14:00

3D settings -Performance

Resolution 1920 x 1080 (native)

60hz

highest 32 bit

Adjust Destop Color Settings

checked - other applications controlled

all channels

brightness +50

contrast +50

gamma +1.00

Applies enhancements

digital vibrance +50

hue +0

Reference image 1

Rotate Display

landscape

Adjust Desktop Aspect Ratio

120 hz refresh rate

Devise settings

factory shipped frequencies

Video

with video player settings ( NOT NVIDIA )

brightness +50

contrast +50

hue 179

saturation 50

Adjust video image settings

using video player settings ( NOT NVIDIA )

deinterlacing  is checked

Good Luck , hope it helps . Man , I'm afraid to even go in there cause of a chance of changing something .... been good now and computer runs excellent ... no throttling issues ... lol , I don't even know what throttling is ... but computer runs great .

3 Posts

December 8th, 2014 18:00

Thanks for the message.  Apparently on the old bios the card would down clock as it got hotter, throttling.  Many complained of massive drops in frame rates.  I'm glad you have not had any issues.  Unfortunately, I did not have any luck with those settings.  I bought a brand new 580m and I'm waiting for it to arrive.  I hope that will finally take care of the problem!

No Events found!