Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 28th, 2011 09:00

M17x R3 Screen Flickering on all games

I bought a new M17x R3 September of this year.  It has never worked correctly since I received it.  I've sent it into Dell to repair and they replaced the Video Card, I called them again for problems and they replaced the Mother Board.

As a system it is staying up now, not crashing or locking up, but the video display flickers every few seconds when I'm playing games.

It doesn't seem to matter what games, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, StarCraft they all flicker. 

I play WoW the most and the Frame rates completely bomb out every few seconds.  It'll jump up to 100 then go all the way down to sub 20, then reset again to 100.  I've turned on a few game settings to keep the FPS from dropping so low, but the flickering still takes place no matter what setting is on or off.

does anyone know why a machine would act this way? 

I've already reinstalled my system, installed drivers and then the games.

Honestly I'm tired of calling support and would like to actually use the $2000 laptop I bought.

Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 28th, 2011 19:00

Are you using our video card driver or the non-certified retail modded driver?

61 Posts

October 29th, 2011 10:00

Honestly I am having the same issues.  I also am extremely concerned that I purchased this laptop only a month ago and my video card, gtx 460 is not available anymore.  Had I known that the gtx 460 was not going to be offered in a month this would of greatly impacted my decision on what nvidia card to buy.  I strongly feel I was not given all information when purchasing this laptop.  I did spend 4 days on the phone with dell/alienware when putting this system together too.  

Where can I upgrade to the latest nvidia drivers so I can play games like battlefield 3 without crash?  

What can I do about extremely low frame rates in games?

6 Posts

October 30th, 2011 11:00

Ian, www.nvidia.com and select your GFX card manually.

4 Posts

October 31st, 2011 06:00

I'm using the Driver listed on the Dell website for my 460, and yes i've done the firmware update

4 Posts

October 31st, 2011 08:00

Oh and this weekend while playing wow, the laptop screen went to black and the machine locked up.  Was still powered, FX still on, just wasn't doing anything.

61 Posts

October 31st, 2011 15:00

Looks like the update is finally here on the driver download page support.dell.com/.../download

22 Posts

November 24th, 2011 20:00

Suddenly this has started happening to me too. I'm also using the GTX460M and sometimes it will flicker and the screen goes off for a while, then it comes back again. Its really annoying but it doesnt happen all the time. In some cases, the screen only fades half of it so the screen is dark in one area while its normal on the other. I'm using the auto updates that were asked to install from the graphics driver.

4 Posts

December 29th, 2011 11:00

Worst Experience with a company to date:

So, after a couple more tech visits, one of which they sent an AMD Graphics card to replace my Nvidia, which of course didn't work because my monitor was not supported by it, I still have no resolution. I sent it back to Dell, it was received on the 28 of November by them. Since that time I've received no update on my laptop. I've called in twice about it, they said they would check and get back with me. Nothing, no calls, no emails. The depot still has my laptop, its been over a month. I requested a refund of my money, and was told I would receive a call back within 24-48 hours. Well its been over 48 hours and no call back.  Not only have I been sold a laptop that didn't perform, but I've put in several hours of my own time, trying to fix an issue of theirs.

No Events found!