Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2012 23:00

M17x-R4. No audio, no playback devices available except Digital Output

As of today, maybe yesterday, I no longer have sound. I didn't notice until I unmuted my laptop today, it had been muted for a day or two. Naturally I checked the sound control panel and noticed there are no playback devices are available except:
Digital Output
Sound Blaster

I'm missing my Speakers device and the HDMI output device. So I have no sound. I re-installed the audio driver from dells website. I bought my alienware laptop in late july 2012. its an M17XR4 running windows 7 home premium 64 bit. After I reinstalled dells recommended sound drivers it still showed only the one output device which provided no sound to speakers or headphones.

Anyone have any helpful tips or ideas?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 15th, 2012 07:00

evil_justen,

Did you download/install the Sound Blaster Recon3Di driver? Click Control Panel- Device Manager- Sound, video and game controllers. You should see the following:
High Definition Audio Device
Sound Blaster Recon3Di

October 15th, 2012 12:00

M17X R4 is a marvellous system, best in the world really, but it has a *lot* of bugs. Let's hope drivers and firmware will fix this in the future. I am looking at you, AMD, hehe. It stands to reason that as more Enduro laptops will come out, the better the support will become.

In the meantime, is there any way to disable Enduro in BIOS? I haven't seen it yet... I've heard you can disable Optimus...

October 15th, 2012 13:00

Exact same problem here though. I've had this issue intermittently, but this time, it looks like it's here to stay. Previously, a system restart would fix it. I've updated all my drivers from the Dell site (video, audio, even flashed the BIOS). Still nothing.

Also, getting random 'driver power state' BSOD crashes - every other day. Looks like all of this is related to the graphics switching. Which I, BTW, disabled, since I knew it caused problems. So I am running on the 7970M exclusively (which is pretty rotten, because my M17X R4 has very little battery life now.

I have an M17X R4 with 7970M, so yeahhhh, it has the shoddy Enduro instead of the polished NVIDIA Optimus. That being said, it seems the 7970M has an edge on the GTX 680M, especially in pure gaming, where the NVIDIA CUDA isn't an issue, so that's why I picked my M17X R4.

Not sure why the sound is being affected here. May be a different issue here. This is kinda serious though. I hope I can find a solution - the sound is sorta integral to a gaming laptop. :S

October 15th, 2012 20:00

I googled the same problem with regards to just windows and not alienware. i right clicked the only playback device in sound and clicked on Show Disabled Devices. the speakers showed up, disabled of course, so i enabled them again and they seem to be working for the moment. haven't checked to see if hmdi audio output is working now tho

October 15th, 2012 20:00

When I look at the sound, video, and game controllers i see:

Intel (R) Display Audio

Sound Blaster Recon3Di

Both drivers are up to date when i hit properties and check for updates.

207 Posts

May 31st, 2013 09:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                                                                            

No Events found!