Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2014 15:00

M17x boot problems, black screen, weird issue

I have an Alienware M17x R3 that I purchased a few years back. About a month ago I started having problems with random shutdowns. Then within the past two weeks I've had this issue when I attempt to boot. I start the computer up and all I get is a black screen. Sometimes, I get the seven beep code, which means an issue with the CPU. Other times the computer starts up just fine and as long as I don't move it around, it will stay on, but as soon as I move the lid or set the computer down from my lap, it shuts off and I get the problem booting again. Then, I recently found out that if I start the computer with the lid halfway closed, it starts every time, but as soon as I open the lid up to see the login screen, it shuts off. I have ran dell diagnostics and found no issues. I've ran disk check. I've reseated the CPU, I've completely cleaned it out and reapplied thermal paste to the cpu and heatsinks. I check my logs after every shut down and can't find a source for the shut downs. I've ran "whocrashed" and can't find an answer, it doesn't say a reason for the crashes. I've tested the RAM. My video drivers are up to date. Not sure what else to do. I'm thinking maybe there's a short in a wire or something with the lid, but I can't figure out where to go from here. Help is appreciated.

1.8K Posts

June 4th, 2014 23:00

Hi!

Please send me a private message with your Service Tag and contact information so I can review your case further. 

June 5th, 2014 11:00

I've tried several times to PM you and it will not go through for some reason.

1.8K Posts

June 5th, 2014 12:00

I've sent you a friend request. Accept it and then try to send the PM again.

June 5th, 2014 19:00

I am still trying to send you a message. When I click send on the message, the circle just continuously spins and it will not send.

1.8K Posts

June 6th, 2014 07:00

In that case, send an email to awsocialmedia@dell.com.

No Events found!