Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2014 12:00

M17xR3 Beeps on every boot. Resets date/time

I have a weird problem. I have the M17xR3 and everytime the system reboots, it does not boot on the first try instead it beeps 5 times and then pauses before repeating the beeps. It's always 5 beeps then a pause and then the cycle continues indefinitely. I have to hard shutdown by holding the power button. When I try to restart it again, the system boots fine but the date and time gets reset to 2010. I think the CMOS battery might be dead but dont know for sure. I would like some community feedback or Alienware rep feedback before I open her up. 

30 Posts

January 5th, 2014 12:00

I have also tried the fix that's linked in the FAQs but my system does this on every boot. I would like a permanent fix to the problem. The FAQs say that the beep codes indicate CMOS battery failure. Will it be fixed if I replace the battery? If yes which battery should I buy?

901 Posts

January 5th, 2014 16:00

It's the small coin cell battery.

Here's a link to the M17xR3 service manual, scroll down till you find "Removing the coin cell battery"

http://www.dell.com/support/Manuals/us/en/19/product/alienware-m17x-r3

There's no guarantee this will fix the problem, but at least its a cheap part.

Removing the coin cell battery and doing a complete power drain may also help.

• 

2.7K Posts

January 6th, 2014 12:00

I have also tried the fix that's linked in the FAQs but my system does this on every boot. I would like a permanent fix to the problem. The FAQs say that the beep codes indicate CMOS battery failure. Will it be fixed if I replace the battery? If yes which battery should I buy?

Hello Getutsav!

In order to get it you could contact the Dell sales department to check if they have the CMOS battery in stock.

No Events found!