Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 12th, 2013 03:00

M17xR4 stopped detecting discrete graphics card

I bought my Alienware M17xR4 in July. It has been working perfectly fine until yesterday. I was starting a LoL game (overclocking and CPU) turbo mode were enabled in the BIOS, but no overclocking software or game boosters were used).  The laptop crashed, gave me a BSoD saying driver_state_power_failure. When I reset the laptop, it gave me an error message:

"Warning: A 180w ac adapter has been detected, which is less than the recommended 240w adapter originally shipped. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available."

Note that the 180W adapter was the one originally shipped (Nvidia 660M graphics card). And when I open the BIOS, it says that the discrete graphics card is not detected.

I tried updating the BIOS, that didn't help. I tried updating the graphics card drivers using an automatic updater from Nvidia, however, this updater did not detect the Nvidia 660M graphics card. Also, pressing the Fn+F7 doesn't change anything.

Is there anything I can do to fix this (short of realising that I fried my graphics card for no apparent reason and weeping desperately)?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

September 12th, 2013 04:00

Hi Vicgeon,

I appreciate your technical expertise.  This system is shipped with 240 Watts Ac adapters. Check the Ac Adapter status and no of Watts in the BIOS screen. Restart the system and tag F2 key at startup to open the BIOS screen.

If in case the Ac adapter is showing less than 240 watts that is 180W, please send me a private message with the system service tag to check the configuration and assist you further.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

No Events found!