Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2012 13:00

{MOVED}Alienware M11x R2 Command Center not working

I have a problem with the Alienware Command Center, I upgrade my system to windows 8 and now I can't add events in the command center, also it stop working when I turn on my computer, the same was happening with windows 7, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it... and nothing the same problems. The error that Command Center give is:

System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ShellLink.IShellLinkW.Resolve(IntPtr hWnd, UInt32 fFlags)
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ShellLink.Open(String linkFile, IntPtr hWnd, EShellLinkResolveFlags resolveFlags, UInt16 timeOut)
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ShellLink..ctor(String linkFile)
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ApplicationsForest.PopulateFiles(String initialPath)
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ApplicationsWindows.PopulateTree()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.ApplicationsWindows..ctor()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.VisualizationsController.getApplicationData()
at AlienLabs.AlienFX.Editor.VisualizationsController.AddVisualization(String model)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)

2.4K Posts

December 5th, 2012 14:00

Did you download the latest Command Center from the website and install it from here.

5 Posts

December 5th, 2012 14:00

Ok I did it with that package and the error when I want to add new events is still there :(

2.4K Posts

December 5th, 2012 15:00

Explain to me where and what events are you trying to add so I can attempt them on my computer?

5 Posts

December 6th, 2012 00:00

In Command Center I want to modify one of my themes, but when I go to the left down side (Events part of the software) and I click on button "+", Add Aplication, that error comes out and close the command center (First I get the error and when I press ok in the error it close the command center).

2.4K Posts

December 6th, 2012 08:00

Well I get the same error. When I test with the compatibility mode tester it comes up with, that the software is not compatible with Windows 8. So I guess all we can hope for that there will be an update. I have tested it in Windows 7 compatibility mode and running as administrator and I too get the same error.

December 6th, 2012 09:00

Officially the M11XR2 does not support windows 8, the command center may not be compatible and for that reason you are getting this error.

Dell Computer Support for Windows 8 Upgrade

5 Posts

December 6th, 2012 12:00

:/ I don't know if I'm wrong but as I understand in that error is that there are some calls to some objects that the program can't find, I think is just some bad use of objects in the programming of the command center... but as we do not have access to the original code well we can't help, hope they get an update soon :)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 6th, 2012 12:00

In Command Center I want to modify one of my themes, but when I go to the left down side (Events part of the software) and I click on button "+", Add Aplication, that error comes out and close the command center (First I get the error and when I press ok in the error it close the command center).

Are you running the latest Laptop version?

Even in the desktop version (on Alienware Desktops) ... in Windows7-64 ... the features and support for triggering themes by "Applications" never really worked very well. I think most of us gave up on it long ago.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 6th, 2012 13:00

Yep, I'm running the latest laptop version... and yes, as you mentioned, there were problems too in Windows 7, but I hope Dell Alienware help us with this problem and although we have an alternative using the sample codes for C++ that are somewhere in Command Center files, I think is easier to do it directly in the Command Center.

Maybe developers of the command center don't know about this kind problems or maybe they know, but I think we should try to let them see that there are problems with this software.

And that is fine to do. I suggest you start a new thread and completely document your case. For me, it does seem to work some-what and I've never seen the error you describe (that's most likely a Win-8 issue). I've also heard of compatibility problems with 3rd party apps over the years. They get reported and eventually fixed (I think).

I've heard some of the third party game developers are providing AlienFX effects in their games. However, I think they access the AlienFX Framework directly (via SDK) and don't actually use the AlienFX app. itself to do it.

5 Posts

December 6th, 2012 13:00

Yep, I'm running the latest laptop version... and yes, as you mentioned, there were problems too in Windows 7, but I hope Dell Alienware help us with this problem and although we have an alternative using the sample codes for C++ that are somewhere in Command Center files, I think is easier to do it directly in the Command Center.

Maybe developers of the command center don't know about this kind problems or maybe they know, but I think we should try to let them see that there are problems with this software.

No Events found!