Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2015 05:00

Mid 2013 M17x Checking Media Fail - error 2000-0142

Hi Guys,

Booted my laptop tonight and in the top left corner I get a checking media (fail) and the machine doesn't get any further then that. Ran test and get error 2000-0142 saying there's hard drive issues my machine is just out of warranty. I have no idea what to do and phoning technical support is hopeless they have no idea what is going on either. Has my hard drive just died or and I try and claim a replacement due to it being faulty? Or do u pay the extended warranty $299.90 and see what they can do for me.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 6th, 2015 14:00

Hello, 

The error that you received usually means a hardware problem with the Hard Drive. We recommend that you have it replaced. You can purchase the Hard Drive from us but unfortunately, extending the warranty will not cover this issue since you are reporting this in a time that you are out of warranty. We will only we able to cover issues that you report after you are in warranty. Please let me know if you have any questions.

2 Posts

July 6th, 2015 15:00

So even though the hard drive is obviously faulty in no cause of myself I will have to pay for a replacement? Spending so much on a laptop and having it fail 1.5years down the track doesn't really sit well with me. It seems very steep since I have googled around and can see it happens across all of the dell computer/laptop range just outside of warranty. It seems like fell is skimping out on parts that eventually fail and the consumer has to deal with it. I'll be calling customer support again today and giving them a mouthful.

No Events found!