Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2013 02:00

Mouse doesn't work

When I turn on my Alienware (m14x R2 with Windows 8), and I move the touchpad around, the cursor on the screen doesn't move. Actually, there is no cursor on the screen, so I don't know if my touchpad is broken, or there's a problem with windows 8. To make my cursor move, I have to restart the computer a few times until the cursor works, and it's really annoying that you have to restart the laptop a few times before actually doing what you wanted to do. So please HELP ME!

P.S.: Would it help if I buy a separate mouse for the laptop?

3.3K Posts

August 18th, 2013 03:00

Hi CookieRaidr,

Check if the touchpad works in Safe mode with networking.

http://dell.to/15Zp4dK

If the issue persists, uninstall and reinstall the touchpad drivers.

Uninstall:

• From the Start screen, swipe up and tap the All apps icon.
  • If you have a mouse, right-click on the Start screen and then click All apps.
  • Once on the Apps screen, scroll or swipe to the right until you see the Windows System heading.
  • Tap or click on Control Panel, located under Windows System.
  • Windows 8 will bring up the Desktop and automatically open the Control Panel.
  • Tap or click on the Hardware and Sound link.
  • In the Hardware and Sound window, click or tap Device Manager, located under the Devices and Printers heading.
  • In the “Device Manager” window, open the “Mice and Other Pointing Devices” selection.
  • Under “”Mice and Other Pointing Devices”, right click the Synaptic touchpad, and click “Uninstall”.
  • Check the box “Delete driver software for this device”, click ok and follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall.
  • Restart the computer.

Now after uninstalling the drivers, Install the drivers from the below mentioned link:

http://dell.to/14qxxmF

Also, for more troubleshooting steps refer the following link:

http://dell.to/14qxEif

Let me know how it goes.

3.3K Posts

August 26th, 2013 10:00

Hi CookieRaidr,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Awaiting your response!

August 29th, 2013 00:00

Oh, I'm sorry... But anyway thanx A LOT for your comment! I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers with no problems, thanks to your instructions. And the mouse works again! Thanx for the advice, because I couldn't have made it without it.

October 7th, 2013 13:00

Hi, it's me again! For a few weeks, the the touchpad worked normally all the time, but yesterday I called my friend on Skype with my headphones (Silvercrest Headphones) and today the problem started again: the touchpad didn't work when I turned the computer on. I'm pretty sure that the headphones are causing the problem, but I'm not sure. Help plz?

October 9th, 2013 14:00

Hello? Did you not see my new question yet? I need help please.

2 Posts

April 10th, 2016 10:00

My Alienware did this.  You solution worked great.

2 Posts

April 10th, 2016 15:00

My Alienware did this.  Your solution worked perfectly.  

No Events found!