Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2014 05:00

My Alienware 14" will not start up

I recently got an Alienware 14" and downloaded all my stuff like Steam. When I was downloading a game on steam, I decided to leave it there and download. After about 5 mins, steam froze, had a white box around it and I tried to close the app and then everything froze. Then I decided to force shut down it and it won't start up again. PLEASE HELP!

8 Posts

There is some response: the led lights, fans. When I start it up again, the only thing that appears on the screen is the logo and then nothing after that(the screen also seems to flash slowly). Yes I have warranty

901 Posts

Hi Andi, is there any response from the laptop at all when you try to turn it on, or is it completely 100% dead (No light, fans or anything at all working)?

Have you tried to start it without the AC adapter AND with the AC adapter.

Is it still under warranty?

• 

2.7K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 12:00

Hello Andi_zhou!

At the moment that you see the Alien logo press F12 several times you will get into the boot menu select the option that says Diagnostic and run the test.

As well if you can connect an external monitor or the tv it will be great that way we will be able to determine if it’s the LCD the one that it’s failing or if it’s the video card.

Let us know how it goes.

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 16:00

I did what you said but it came up with three options saying: USB a device, Turn off your PC, troubleshoot. I went into troubleshoot and every option there was to check but I didn't see diagnostic.

901 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 18:00

Hi Andi, sounds like you booted into the windows recovery section instead of the Dell ePSA

Try following the steps in this guide to get the ePSA running

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=446143

If that doesn't work and you feel confident enough you can try a power drain.

1. Disconnect AC power.

2. Remove two screws from rear cover, remove rear cover and disconnect battery supply.

3. Hold down power on/off button for a slow count to 20.

3. Reconnect battery, replace rear cover and connect AC power.

4. Try to boot up machine.

There's another way to do a more complete power drain but that requires you to remove the coin cell battery too, I don't know how confident you are with this so I have not suggested that as yet.

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 22:00

I am not very good at tech stuff. But I still tried to remove the battery but the battery seems to be attached to little cables that I can't remove.

901 Posts

January 4th, 2014 03:00

Unplugging the battery is fine, just follow the wire that leads from the battery and dis-connect it where it plugs into the motherboard, grab both sides of wire close to plug, wiggle very gently while also pulling outward firmly but not forcefully

8 Posts

January 4th, 2014 05:00

I tried but it did not work...

901 Posts

January 4th, 2014 06:00

8 Posts

January 4th, 2014 21:00

The laptop boots up but it doesn't enter windows 8. The only thing I can do is go to windows recovery or boot up menu.

8 Posts

I drained the battery and actually opened up the diagnostics thing but they all didn't work. The diagnostics detected no problems. I think it may be a virus or something?

901 Posts

So you were actually able to get the laptop to boot up?

Can you boot into windows?

If so, have you tried running AlienRespawn or "Refresh your computer" to reset your computer back to factory setting?

Try refresh your computer first.

You have win 8 yes?

If you do, point mouse into bottom left corner and click "Setting" then "Change PC setting" scroll down the menu that opens on left until you find "General" and click on that, go to the right hand side of the screen and scroll down till you find "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" and follow the instruction to refresh your pc.

If that does not work you can try a system restore.

If that doesn't work you can try to re-install everything to factory setting with AlienRespawn

901 Posts

January 9th, 2014 08:00

You might have to try a full system recovery, with a little luck you will be able to save any info you have on the HDD. If that doesn't work then I think it's time for a service call

8 Posts

January 9th, 2014 16:00

Sorry for the late reply, I fixed my Alienware already with the refresh. Thanks Andrew for your support all the way through with me!

2 Posts

February 21st, 2016 09:00

So I am having the same problems and I ran the diagnosis thing and I got green check marks next to everything but my hard drive please help

No Events found!