Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 15th, 2013 09:00

My Aurora R1 Upgrades

Hey guys I figured it was time I made some changes to my Aurora R1 and wait it out a bit longer to see what Ivy Bridge-E would have in store for us. Here are some of the upgrades I made to get more life out of my system. The first thing I did was get a Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD. The only problem was the R1 did not have a Sata 3 controller, so I wasn't getting full read/write speeds. I ended up finding a pci express sata 3/usb 3 dual controller. This gave me both usb 3 and sata 3 speeds for one card. Only potential problem was I had to sacrifice a PCI-E x16 slot, so no dual video card options. This was okay for me since I already had thrown in a single gtx 680 which more than met my gpu needs. With the SSD installed and running at sata 3 speeds, I next went to upgrade the ram to the full supported 24 gbs of ram. I used G skill ripjaw series ram. Next thing to upgrade was the CPU. My original configuration was the i7 920. I was luckily able to track down a i7 980x in really good condition, and for a really good price so I popped that bad-boy in. While putting the cpu in I also added a 120 mm Corsair fan in front of the radiator to push air in. For the original fan that was attached to the back of the radiator I switched it to pull cold air in as opposed to the original exhaust set up it had. To exhaust warm air out of the case I ended up taking the top cover off the aurora- which was really easy by just pushing in 4 pins, and then ended up dremeling the plastic housing in areas to accommodate a 120 mm exhaust fan and a 92 mm exhaust fan. To control the 3 new fans I mated them to a Lamptron touch in one of the front bays. With the new cpu and thermal paste put in, I turned the cpu on and saw it breathe life once again. My temperatures dropped drastically with the new fan configuration. At stock clocks I was running at 24 C on the highest core at idle temperature, with the cores reaching 60 C under Prime 95. After about a week of letting the Arctic silver 5 settle in I decided to overclock the CPU with the stock oc profile in bios. Running at 3.8  vs stock 3.3 my temperatures under idle on the warmest core are 29C, and with prime 95 I saw shoot to just under 68. I am happy with the set up, and when it comes time to really do an overhaul to the new enthusiast architecture, I will be able to reuse my SSD, fan controller, and fans.

Cheers

-Uji

22 Posts

July 15th, 2013 11:00

Hi thanks for checking it out. Here is the usb 3/sata 3 pci Express controller I am using: http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-4-port-Express-Serial-Adapter/dp/B0056TYT66  It is the Transcend 4-port PCI Express USB/Serial ATA Combo Adapter;  Item model number: TS-PDC3

I am using A11 bios. Once installed I go to boot configuration settings and sata 3 controller is read. I selected the samsung ssd and saved settings. It boots straight up into windows every time. Let me know if you have any further questions about it. I am getting usb 3 speeds on it as well as tested via a usb 3 external hd. Also disregard the reviews for the card on amazon. People were putting the card into a pci x 1 slot not realizing it requires at-least a x4 slot to get sata 3 speeds. This is why I put mine in the second x16 slot, which worked for me due to the single gtx 680 configuration I have.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 15th, 2013 11:00

Good work.

Do you have make/model or link to the SATA3/USB3 Controller PCIe x16 card you used?

I like how you re-directed and improved air flow through machine ... that's how I would do it also.

22 Posts

July 16th, 2013 18:00

After doing some research about overclocking and looking at old posts about aurora manual oc settings I am running stable at the current settings.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 16th, 2013 19:00

After doing some research about overclocking and looking at old posts about aurora manual oc settings I am running stable at the current settings.

I think the CPUID guys have a tool that shows all cores/threads speed concurrently.

Did it survive Prime95 or HyperPI?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 16th, 2013 19:00

1. I selected the samsung ssd and saved settings. It boots straight up into windows every time. Let me know if you have any further questions about it.

2. I am getting usb 3 speeds on it as well as tested via a usb 3 external hd. Also disregard the reviews for the card on amazon. People were putting the card into a pci x 1 slot not realizing it requires at-least a x4 slot to get sata 3 speeds. This is why I put mine in the second x16 slot, which worked for me due to the single gtx 680 configuration I have.

1. Good to hear its bootable.

2. It is surprising to see a single PCIe x1 slot card with both 2xUSB3 and 2xSATA3. I think this might be because it's PCIe v2.0 (which is twice speed/bandwidth as v1.0). Older similar cards like this used to have a larger x4 slot.

AFAIK, all 4 PCIe slots in the Aurora R1 are v2.0. The x16 video cards slots are sure to be.

Anyway, people installing this in older computers as an upgrade ... this might be what they are running into ... that might limit through-put. To get 3 or more or those ports working at full speed concurrently ... that takes a major pipe. However, I did not take the time to do the math.

22 Posts

July 16th, 2013 20:00

I am not able to get cpu-z to show all cores/threads speed concurrently, but was able to see it in HWiNFO64. I tried Prime 95 and I did not like the temperatures I was getting after 20 mins so I have rolled back the oc to the level  1 oc and will do some more experimenting when I get some time to keep it at a stable 4+. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 16th, 2013 20:00

I am not able to get cpu-z to show all cores/threads speed concurrently, but was able to see it in HWiNFO64. I tried Prime 95 and I did not like the temperatures I was getting after 20 mins so I have rolled back the oc to the level  1 oc and will do some more experimenting when I get some time to keep it at a stable 4+. 

Right, you can't. No, its one of their other programs ... TMonitor I think.

No Events found!