Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 25th, 2017 21:00

Need Help fixing unresponding Windows audio for ALienware 17 R4

Windows audio refuses to respond with a permanent working start- that is sound comes out of the speaker without crashing for no reason I am aware off. Tried troubleshooting- not just the normal ask windows for help etc. etc., I.e. reinstalling realtk audio multiple times, as well as the other audio programs i.e intel and NVIDIA sound. NOthing worked so far. I've also need help to recover the audio slot for NVIDIA sound program as Hardware finding difference doesn't recover this.

Thanks in advance

KillerDK12345

1 Attachment

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 29th, 2017 09:00

< 2) Using administrator privileges, at the command prompt type in sfc /scannow.

This was good to try, but you reported ... it said no problems found.

If you are not going to do a Windows clean-Install, then I suggest you at least try a Repair Install.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

The reason I previously said to jump right to a "clean Windows install" (Nuke-and-Pave) is because you will likely have to do it anyway ... as one last attempt to fix it before you proceed to getting the motherboard replaced with a working one. But who knows, you might get lucky so the easier Repair Install is worth a try.

Edited.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 26th, 2017 08:00

Hi, 

Just to confirm, the audio driver crashes randomly when using it or right after you log in to Windows? Does the audio ever come back on its own or you have to restart the system? Make sure your system is running the latest Bios version, click here for the download link. Also, try reinstalling the Nvidia card driver, it includes the Nvidia audio driver. 

April 26th, 2017 13:00

It used to crash randomly after I log into windows. By crash I mean sometimes the sound icon would not have a red x symbol next it or would have a red x next to it. Either way no sound would come out. I've restarted many times but sound refuses to turn on. Now the sound icon from launch always stays with a red x next to it. Will try the Bios update and see if it changes anything.

April 26th, 2017 16:00

Yeah... the bios update didn't fix anything

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 26th, 2017 22:00

If it passes ePSA (outside of Windows)...

I would Image Backup system and then try a complete Nuke-and-Pave ... clean Windows install followed by drivers:

https://community.dell.com/thread/24064-alienware-15-r2-fps-super-low-somedays-and-computer-runs-slow-somedays-help

April 27th, 2017 20:00

Passed ePSA test- no issues (problem still existing)

Instead of a X symbol, it has a normal symbol but still no sound x.x

haven't done the four hour ram test yet, will  image backup system and try to install a clean windows install. (Following your instru from the post below in chronological order).

Thanks

April 27th, 2017 20:00

Update 1:

Nvm,it's back to the permanent X symbol next to sound

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 27th, 2017 21:00

killerdk12345 wrote:

1. Passed ePSA test- no issues (problem still existing)

You should also be able to go to Second ePSA screen and test audio/speakers by themselves. Since hardware passes, must be software problem (Windows or drivers).

I can't find the place where this is downloaded, must pay full version to install automatically it says or find download.

Nope.

Nope.

Not Windows Builderpoint.

i cry ;-;

x.x

thanks for help anyways x.x

I reinstalled Nvidia driver, but the NVidia sound program didn't come back ;-; help

757 Posts

April 27th, 2017 23:00

A few other suggestions.

1) when reinstalling Nvidia drivers be sure to clean out registry and other Nvidia program remnants with a registry cleaner. I use IOLO System Mechanic but a free version of CCleaner may work as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=registry+cleaner&ie=&oe=#spf=1

When reinstalling Nvidia drivers select Custom install, make sure all updates as well as current software loaded are checked marked, and select Clean install. Not checking currently update installed software will actually uninstall the driver not selected. (just check everything)

2) Using administrator privileges, at the command prompt type in sfc /scannow.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

3) In control panel select sounds. On the pop-up, select the Tab "Sounds." What sound scheme is selected? Make sure at least the Windows Default Scheme is selected. Then under the Tab Communications, select "Do Nothing"

4) in device manager under sounds, right click Realtek, uninstall, and then restart computer. Windows will reinstall Realtek.

5) I thought you might have had SoundBlaster installed on your system but I don't see it listed. Did your system com with SoundBlaster originally?

6) I noticed six Action Center Notifications in lower right corner. Do any of those direct you to perform some kind of maintenance?

7) access Administrator Tools and select Event Viewer. Scroll down to Realtek and see if any events are present and suggest specific issues.

April 28th, 2017 02:00

Just to make sure, uninstalling Nvidia driver is by going to device manager > display adapters > uninstall GTX 1070? (I feel I am doing it wrong?).

No devices appearing once again

K. I answer the suggestions! ^-^

1) when reinstalling Nvidia drivers be sure to clean out registry and other Nvidia program remnants with a registry cleaner. I use IOLO System Mechanic but a free version of CCleaner may work as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=registry+cleaner&ie=&oe=#spf=1

When reinstalling Nvidia drivers select Custom install, make sure all updates as well as current software loaded are checked marked, and select Clean install. Not checking currently update installed software will actually uninstall the driver not selected. (just check everything)

1) ANSWER: If my earlier answer about the way I reinstall Nvidia drivers above is correct.. I've done this countless times to no avail x.x. I've also cleaned the registry repeatedly with CCleaner, cleared so leftovers from uninstallations but doesn't fix sound. Ye.

2) Using administrator privileges, at the command prompt type in sfc /scannow.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

2) ANSWER: I have done this scan many times before coming to this forum as well with no errors x.x

Anyway here is the result :

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

3) In control panel select sounds. On the pop-up, select the Tab "Sounds." What sound scheme is selected? Make sure at least the Windows Default Scheme is selected. Then under the Tab Communications, select "Do Nothing"

3) ANSWER: Done. Before Tab communications was at 70% mute or something but changed to Do Nothing... Sound still broken.

Also I am constantly spammed with these error messages regardless I press yes or no

and...

Next suggestion !

4) in device manager under sounds, right click Realtek, uninstall, and then restart computer. Windows will reinstall Realtek.

4)ANSWER: Did this multiple times to no avail as well.. thanks for the suggestion though?

this time result : no work

5) I thought you might have had SoundBlaster installed on your system but I don't see it listed. Did your system com with SoundBlaster originally?

5) ANSWER: SoundBlaster? Virus? (Joking). Never heard of that before, probably was never on my system in the first place  

6) I noticed six Action Center Notifications in lower right corner. Do any of those direct you to perform some kind of maintenance?

6) ANSWER: Most are just my emails... only one has relevance... tells me to restart constantly after I keep on reinstalling the sound and Nividia drivers  

7) access Administrator Tools and select Event Viewer. Scroll down to Realtek and see if any events are present and suggest specific issues.

7)ANSWER: Can't find in Event Viewer? (Realtek)... (Sorry, I'm fresh meat to windows - ported directly from Macintosh (apple) so I'm quite clueless what your directions are sometimes... ie about the reinstalling driver thingy.  

Anyway.. I'm extremely grateful for your help despite how I may express myself.

Believe me you guys are much better than those Dell support staff, refusing to help because I don't live in America or Canada as I brought my laptop while on holiday.

I believe I still have warrantee of some sort....

AH. Here it is:

ServiceStart date (GMT time zone)End date (GMT time zone)
Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis (Consumer Customer)/ Next Business Day Onsite After Remote Diagnosis (Commercial Customer)November 14, 2016February 13, 2018

Did the full test, the 4 hr one- no issues and sound does come out when I tested the speakers in TEST MODE that is.

Still no sound from speakers in tab, nor when I play videos.

Now when I play videos, videos keep on pausing as if I'm holding the space bar throughout the video

x.x

No Events found!