Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2016 17:00

Need some help (about memory size of video card for Alienware17R3 Laptop)

Hi.

I purchased a brand new Alienware 17R3 laptop with Nvidia 980GTX M video card from US Dell official website recently. I'm pretty sure I chose "980GTX M with 8GB GDDR5 memory size". However, I used GPU-Z then I found it has only 4GB memory size.

Honestly, I'm really mad because it's totally different from the description from official website, and I didn't get what I paid for.

I tried to contact with Dell customer service, but they said "WE ONLY HAVE 980GTX M with 4GB memory size".

I want to replace this laptop to the correct one. Could anyone tell me why this happened? And how to contact for replacement?

Thank you all!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

March 18th, 2016 09:00

Hi, 

We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience. Unfortunately, we are only offering the GTX 980m with 4GB in memory size. A replacement system is not going to fix the problem because we do not have the GTX 980m with 8GB available. If you request a replacement, you will receive the exact same system. 

1 Message

March 18th, 2016 11:00

That seems odd as the UK Dell website is still listing GTX 980m with 8GB for sale.

4 Posts

March 18th, 2016 13:00

Yea. It's totally different from the description online. Hope Dell will accept my request for replacement.

4 Posts

March 18th, 2016 13:00

Thanks for your reply.

I think Alienware laptop is really nice, and it's worth its price.

However, if there is only 4GB available, why Dell still POST 8GB VERSION ON THE ALIENWARE OFFICIAL WEBSITE. It mislead my choice :-(

As a customer, I need totally true and reliable information instead of “false” information.

I've tried to contact the Technical group and they said they'll keep in touch with me. It seems like they actually have 8GB version, but they put the wrong one into my laptop. I'll wait for them.

No Events found!