Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 27th, 2013 05:00

New Alienware 17 Upgrade with CPU and GPU

Hi all,

I would like to know if it is technically possible to upgrade my new alienware 17 (i7 4800, and gtx 770m) with an highr graphics card, like gtx 780m and higher cpu, like 6 or even 8 core processor if these are coming. Will the motherboard support the cpu and gpu? And wil the cooling be fine then?

Thank you in advance and best regards,

PFYAAA

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 27th, 2013 12:00

PFYAAA,

Does the motherboard support this upgrade.
* No. We only support the following Dell OEM 4 core CPUs:
C8HRG i7-4930MX 3.00GHz
HDX3D i7-4900MQ 2.80GHz
036M4 i7-4800MQ 2.70GHz
86XWW i7-4700MQ 2.40GHz

would the cooling system allow that?
* Since we will never test them, we cannot know.

with a higher graphics card?
* You could upgrade to the Dell OEM GTX780m.
2K0KW Nvidia GeForce GTX780m N14E-GTX 4GB GDDR5 with bracket, thermal pad
YP26V GTX780m GPU Thermal Module Right 100w

and even a 6 core is already available in alienwares 18 configuration.
* Where do you see this? I am seeing that the AW17 and AW18 offer the same 4 core CPUs?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 27th, 2013 05:00

Until such processors and GPUs are released, no one will know.

Video upgrades usually run into $1000+ -- if they can be done -- and high-end CPUs from Intel are usually similarly priced.

5 Posts

September 27th, 2013 07:00

Such processors already exists for desktop computers and even a 6 core is already available in alienwares 18 configuration. The GPU is already a long

time out and by the way I found the video upgrade for much less than 1000, to be precise 650 and if I wait 2 years..than it is even cheaper...so still my

question... Does the motherboard support this upgrade and would the cooling system allow that?

But thank you for your answer anyways!

Best regards,

PFYAAA

5 Posts

September 27th, 2013 18:00

Thank you very much for your answer. This helps me a lot.

I have to apologize, I have seen the 6 core CPU for desktop computers. However, I can imagine that these CPUs will come out next for laptops.

Could you imagine that other coming GPUs would fit in the MXM slot? I just ordered my laptop and I am still waiting for it. :) However, I just thought about my opportunities in a couple of years, e.g., buying a new GPU instead of ordering an entire new laptop due to the great hardware which is already installed.

If you don't know I will figure it out in some years. :)

Thank you so much for your help and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Best regards,

PFYAAA

September 29th, 2013 16:00

Unfortunately, what you are asking for is 'crystal ball' stuff.....will laptops get MOBILE versions of DESKTOP hexa or octa core cpu's in the future...probably in time, they will as technology is a train that moves forwards unstoppingly. On some laptop manufacturers, you CAN select a desktop hexa core cpu (Clevo/Sager) but their mobile counterparts can perform just as well due to limitations on other manufactuers BIOS etc.

How soon would they arrive? - get your crystal ball out....not in the very near future for sure. You can bet that when newer CPU's do emerge, they will not be backwards compatible with you CPU socket/chipset/BIOS anyway......just like owners of Sandybridge M18x R1's cannot upgrade to an Ivybridge CPU's.....it's just one of those things to encourage you to upgrade your whole machine to get the latest hardware.

As for next gen. GPU's - if they are MXM 3.0b, they should work - again, crystal ball time.....if GPU manufacturers change this, you might find that you need to upgrade your machine to enjoy the latest technology on offer in the future.

Bottom line.....enjoy what you have now, worry about the future...well, in the future....

5 Posts

September 30th, 2013 04:00

Indeed... I will see in the future. There is probably no other chance :). I'm so excited to have finally my new alienware laptop. 

I was very amused about the term "crystal ball".  I am from Germany and do not know that.

When do you use that term?

September 30th, 2013 05:00

Well, the term of using a crystal ball is linked with fortune telling, used by clairvoyancy - where some people claim to be able to 'see the future' by using a 'crystal ball'.

The expression itself is like asking someone to predict the unknow, and places a degree of scepticism on those who do not believe that anyone can see the future.....it's use could be something like this:

"Here's the winning numbers for next weeks lottery" followed closely by someone saying in response "You must have a crystal ball......"

5 Posts

September 30th, 2013 06:00

Cool, good to know and thanks for the info. I will remember that. I like the way to indicate scepticism related to future predictions. :)

1 Message

August 3rd, 2014 05:00

i was thinking of making a upgrade on my alienware 17's processor i was thinking of buying  Intel Extreme Series Core i7 4960X Processor is it compatible ?

No Events found!