Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 1st, 2011 10:00

New Area-51 Fans running very loud

I received a new Area-51 yesterday and noticed the fan(s) were running full blast even when idle. I checked Command Center and it reported the 'System' fan at 0 rpms which didn't seem good, especially since the fans were very loud--kinda sounds like a vacuum cleaner running under the desk--all the time.

I ran diagnostics and it returned an error code: "3700:011B Msg CPU_FAN. The fan speed is incorrect.". From the detail it looks like diagnostics is trying to set it to high and it returns a '0' value. After 2 hours of dell support, no service tag in system, wrong department, dropped calls, multi-cultural experiences, etc. I finally got a service order completed and they are sending someone to replace the mio board and/or fan.

My question is, is it safe to use the computer with cpu fan not running? There is cooling going on and the temps reported are in the normal range. It may be 3-5 days before the service tech arrives and i would love to use the computer.

Thanks!

Marcus

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 1st, 2011 10:00

i would check to see if the fan on the cpu cooler is running, then download and install coretemp to see if the cpu is running hot.

If the fan is running, and core temps or ok, then they might have put the cpu fan on the wrong header when building the system.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 1st, 2011 11:00

My question is, is it safe to use the computer with cpu fan not running? There is cooling going on and the temps reported are in the normal range. It may be 3-5 days before the service tech arrives and i would love to use the computer.

Unless you looked, and the radiator fan is really not turning ... it likely IS turning ... the software or MIO-Board is just not reading it. If turning, it should be fine.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

See this thread (same basic problem) ...

Re: Alienware Core i7 Liquid Cooling system fan.

The CPU cooler and sensors are controlled by the MIO-Board, so trouble-shooting should start there.

Shut-down machine properly so it will turn off. Unplug from wall or UPS. Hold down power button for 20 seconds to dissipate any electricity in machine and MIO-Board. Wait another 20 secs before powering up. See if that very simple procedure resets MIO-Board.

Run Dell Diagnostic on the MIO-Board. This will check it and also has been known to reset it in some fashion. If it is detected and tests good, but still won't work, try re-installing the software ...

Completely Uninstall Command Center and reboot.

Install the latest Command Center (v2.6.1.0) and reboot.

Test operation.

Also see this forum "sticky":

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19338298.aspx

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

i would check to see if the fan on the cpu cooler is running, then download and install coretemp to see if the cpu is running hot.

If the fan is running, and core temps or ok, then they might have put the cpu fan on the wrong header when building the system.

Area-51
-------
Using the CPU_FAN header actually works, but not entirely. If your system fan header is not working properly and blasting the fan at 100%, then there is something wrong with your MIO board or it's programming. Try resetting it.

So, same as Aurora. The Cooler's radiator "System Fan" should be connected the SYS_FAN.

10 Posts

March 9th, 2011 00:00

Did you fix this?  I have the exact problem.  Computer arrived today and fans are blasting at full.  I tried everything suggested that I am comfortable with. Contacted support and a new MIO board is what they are suggesting/sending, did that work?  I was hoping there would be something simpler.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 9th, 2011 01:00

@ Belamorte

Marcus108 hasn't posted in over a week. Hopefully, they will come back, post, and let us know the status of their problem.

What happens when you follow the steps in my March 1 post above?

10 Posts

March 9th, 2011 08:00

Things I have tried are 1. uninstall/re-install command center following both methods mentioned several times, 2. going into BIOS and following those steps (all tests come back normal), 3. power off/unplug/power button etc... several times, 4.tried the pin jumper step as detailed in a previous post.  I was hoping Marcus or someone posts back.

It is very frustrating as this is a replacement computer for a XPS710. It has just arrived after 3 1/2 months of waiting (Nov 30 2010) and I still cant use.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 9th, 2011 12:00

Things I have tried are 1. uninstall/re-install command center following both methods mentioned several times, 2. going into BIOS and following those steps (all tests come back normal), 3. power off/unplug/power button etc... several times, 4.tried the pin jumper step as detailed in a previous post.  I was hoping Marcus or someone posts back.

It is very frustrating as this is a replacement computer for a XPS710. It has just arrived after 3 1/2 months of waiting (Nov 30 2010) and I still cant use.

If Dell Diagnostics doesn't detect a MIO-Board at startup, the MIO-Board tests will not be available or listed. All the other tests that ARE listed, will likely test good. If this is happening, it must be corrected first. You really have to observe these MIO-Board tests, because the results are very important to the progression of steps to the final diagnosis or repair. If the MIO-Board tests fail in Dell Diagnostics, there is really no chance it will operate in Windows with Command Center software.

If the Dell Diagnostics MIO-Board tests pass, this tells us quite a bit:
1. The MIO-Board is getting power
2. The MIO-Board is connected to the motherboard's USB-1 port header (and communication is working).
3. The MIO-Board is operational and not locked up or in a loop.
4. The various devices (lights, fans, etc.) that the tests successfully exercise are connected properly.

10 Posts

March 9th, 2011 13:00

Ya, the MIO-board test through BIOS shows up and passes with no errors.  The lights all work (I can switch them around through CC).  I guess Ill just wait until the tech comes out to fix it in the next few days.  If you can think of anything else please post otherwise thanks for trying.

10 Posts

March 9th, 2011 18:00

I unplugged the big fan at the top so it is not blasting any longer, it it safe to run without it?  I am not talking high end gaming or anything, but I would like to install some programs and internet and stuff until it get repaired.  The cpu cooler fan is still spinning as are the graphics fans.

10 Posts

March 10th, 2011 19:00

Thought I would update.  The tech just left after replacing the MIO board.  Upon start up the fans were still blasting but this time after I cleared it with the jumper pins it settled down and I now have a quiet working machine.

280 Posts

April 27th, 2011 10:00

I have the same problem. except System Fan always above 4,000 not Zero.  To-day the I/O board, controlling the fan is to be replaced.  Did your replacement of the I/O board fixed  it, or did you need to replace the fan too?

10 Posts

April 27th, 2011 12:00

Just the I/O board was replaced and after resetting the board with the jumper on the new board it worked.  The top lights dont work for whatever reason (they worked for the first couple of days but not any longer); I really dont care at this point.  After all I went through just to get a working computer (much much more then what is in this thread) I dont want to have it torn apart again for lights.  The lights while nice make dont effect performance.

280 Posts

May 2nd, 2011 16:00

After the I/O replacement on my PC, Test was able to reset high and low fan speeds and no more errors.  More importantly, system fan speed is back to the normal range..  Don't blame Belamorte of not being concerned by the lights. I assume they are not programmed to be off - The bios has a test for that. . It could be just that the two respective wires were not firmly connected to the I/O board, as the replacement of that board with those very many connection is very difficult.  Not a job I like to undertake.  I just hope the I/O board is indeed o.k. and doesn't break again, having had  my original PC totally replaced - other problems too but also I/O board problems.  As stated by Belamorte, those lights while nice, are not a requirement for running the PC and perhaps that extra :"fancy" system is part of the problem with these PC's.  It certainly was not the reason I decided to buy it in the first place.  Now I have to address a graphic card issue on this replacement PC.

No Events found!