Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 14th, 2012 20:00

New Power Supply/Fan Issues

I own an alienware aurora, bought in 2009, running windows home premium.  Recently the power supply stopped working, so i spoke with a dell representative and they recommended i replace it with a Zumax ZU-650W. Since I replaced the power supply, the fans are constantly running at a very high rate while the computer is on. Thermal controller does not seem to be working, and i do not see any way to adjust the fans in the bios. Can anyone help me figure out how to get these fans running back to normal? On a side note, the alienware fx lights are also not working. 

greatly appreciate any help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 15th, 2012 15:00

Yes, I connected the 4pin molex to the mio-board, and the orange light is on. The one thing I did notice is that there are only 2 wires connected to the molex, the original one i pulled out had 4. Could this be the issue?

If it is, what are the other two wires that should be connected to the molex?

Possibly ... I'm not sure if the MIO-Board uses 12v or 5v (or both).

On the Molex, the 4 wires are ... Red & Black are 5v ... Yellow and Black are 12v. Strange that PowerSupply only had 2 wires (one voltage) on the Molex because 4 wires (both voltages) is the standard.

You can test MIO-Board to see if it's getting power and working:

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 14th, 2012 21:00

Did you connect a 4pin Molex power plug to the MIO-Board? Is the orange light on?

3 Posts

November 15th, 2012 15:00

Yes, I connected the 4pin molex to the mio-board, and the orange light is on. The one thing I did notice is that there are only 2 wires connected to the molex, the original one i pulled out had 4. Could this be the issue?

If it is, what are the other two wires that should be connected to the molex?

Thanks for the help!

3 Posts

November 15th, 2012 18:00

I found another molex cable and connected that to the mio board. That seems to have fixed it. I just need to get an adaptor to extend the moax so it will reach. Thanks for the help!

No Events found!