Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2017 20:00

No Audio Output after RealTek audio update on Alienware 13 R#

On 15th Feb, RealTek High Definition Audio Drivers were pushed as an updated, after the update I am not getting any audio output on my Alienware.

Only when I open "Alienware Sound Center" - the audio output returns to normal, looks like a conflict between drivers.

2 Posts

February 19th, 2017 06:00

I had not audio at all after this driver update on my 17r4.

I see there is now a BIOS update on the site, did anyone try that?  

I got out of the sound driver problem by going into windows device manager and "roll back" the realtek audio driver.

February 21st, 2017 15:00

Here is the response I just got from Dell Support:

Thank you very much for your reply. Actually that is the work around we are performing at the moment (rolling back to the previous version of the sound driver), so a callback will not be needed. Please disregard the notifications to update to version 6.0.1.8018 as it is not functional. We are already working on an update to correct the errors, but we do not have an ETA yet for the update to be ready."

February 21st, 2017 18:00

Just had a troubleshooting session with Alienware Tech Support:

1. Updated my BIOS

2. Uninstalled Realtek drivers

3. Installed Latest Realtek drivers

and my issue was fixed.

February 17th, 2017 09:00

Me too! My Alienware 15 R3 has no sound output after the update. Please help!!!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 17th, 2017 13:00

Yep. Same thing happened here with my Alienware 17R4.

After the update, my volume was set to 100% which was startling when a notification came on... and when it did the sound was very distorted (not because of volume) and then the sound was gone, would not play any longer.

My solution was to manually download drivers from the website... HOWEVER, PLEASE NOTE:

The installer from the website would try to uninstall the old drivers first then reboot and re-install -- this would not work properly and became caught in a loop because after the reboot, Windows would re-install the same drivers again -- so the installer would constantly try to un-install and reboot over and over again.

To solve this, I had to manually uninstall the audio drivers from device manager, then without rebooting, install the downloaded drivers from the website.

Was still not done though, because the installer from the website does not properly install the Alienware Sound Center, so I had to extract the files from the package and manually run the installer located in:

/ RealtekHDAudio / Nahimic / AWSoundCenter.exe

After then a second reboot and everything worked again.

I have since disabled the Alienware Updater. This is my first Alienware machine. I love the hardware, it is very premium... however the Updater needs a lot of work. An official update from the Alienware app, should never result in non-working hardware.

February 18th, 2017 10:00

Same issue here with my Alienware 17 R4, after I was prompted to install the latest Realtek Audio Update. Since I am eligible for email support, I just created a support ticket. I'll update this thread if/when I get more info from Dell.

February 19th, 2017 07:00

dankots,

Thanks, rolling back the driver fixed the issue for me.

Windows Device Manager>Sound, Video, and Game Controllers

Right-click Realtek Audio, select Properties, and then click the Driver tab to see the "Rollback Driver" button. I clicked "Rollback Driver" and it took a few minutes, and then the process was "unresponsive" but I waited long enough for it to successfully roll back to the previous driver, which is version 6.0.1.7926. Now my sound is working again.

I will also update this thread when I hear back from Dell Support.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 19th, 2017 09:00

@dankots , I had the BIOS update installed before I received the notice about the Realtek update... so the BIOS update made no difference in my scenario.

February 19th, 2017 10:00

I started Windows Troubleshooting, and now my Alienware is running on Windows default audio drivers. Audio output is restored, I can hear audio from Movies and songs, but can't hear any audio from games.

I have Battlefield 1, Titanfall, NFS, all running via EA Origin, but I am not able to get any audio output from my games.

I have raised a Tech Support Ticket and waiting for a troubleshooting session, will update after the troubleshooting session.

February 26th, 2017 08:00

Updating the BIOS and then installing the latest Realtek drivers also fixed the issue for my Alienware 17 R4. I think the support response I received earlier (that the Realtek driver update was at fault) was not the root cause of the issue. I think the issue arose because my BIOS was not up to date. I think Dell needs to make sure that the necessary prerequisite is met (in this case, BIOS is updated) before prompting users to install the driver update. I will send this feedback back to the support team.

25 Posts

March 10th, 2017 14:00

Roll back worked for me - thanks - this was rather annoying!

No Events found!