Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2011 12:00

Ordering Alienware M15X and equipment (3500$ worth) but Poor customer service.

Hi all,

I placed my order december 7th and since then Dell has received my payment on december 16th.

After that, i had to call DELL 27 TIMES!!!! to get the status of my order! To know if the payment has been processed i had to call the bank institutes!

Then i got patient and said to myself, well i guess it will take more time...

Last night, i call DELL .. ''Sir, we are missing a part to complete your laptop, we will then ship it''.

WHAT! I asked the guy when are you gonna receive that part! NO ANSWER! ''PLEASE HOLD''!

Ive been waiting for a month!  I never experianced poor customer service from DELL like this before...

Please do something.

Thanks.

431 Posts

January 10th, 2011 13:00

I am not belittling your negative experiences. But the vast majority of our customers do not have issues and never contact us. This Forum exist to help users that are having issues so 90% of what you see out here are unhappy customers. At face value, it looks like all have issues but that is not true.

Agreed.

As a ball-park comparison, can you provide some numbers on how many Alienware machines Dell ships-out every month?

As a ball park comparison how many calls do you get to tech support each month?

501 Posts

January 10th, 2011 14:00

STOP PRESS ....DELL's HAPPY CUSTOMER has finally come forward!

501 Posts

Yeah, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment designed to bring a smile to those of us going through Alienware Agony.
Seriously though, I am pleased for you because at least you are able to enjoy that which the rest of us are eagerly awaiting.
There's hope for us yet then!

25 Posts

I found that funny....just saying.    

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 10th, 2011 15:00

As a ball park comparison how many calls do you get to tech support each month?
* I do not have access to that data.

16 Posts

January 12th, 2011 06:00

This FORUM, is great i found many problems even before getting the laptop! So i am aware of the actual problems with our M15X on the market. Some problems seem to be really easy to fix.

FOR SURE, i will never let a Dell technician touch my laptop. I will go see my technician at the customized computer shop. Tha guy is a wicked computer freak. I think he should be the on site technician. (he is asian :P).

Anyways, Chris, i dont hate Dell, i ordered a XPS studio last year and had no issues with it.

But if i pay this laptop 3500$ and have problems, then Alienware and Dell dont go together.

Thanks.

1.2K Posts

the only thing ive figured out... cheap machine aka acer so far perfect.... cheap dell inspiron no prolem xps M1530 3 motherboard in  6 months then 3 years later perfect... M17X on 4th  system ..  cheap system less problems high performance system  high performance problems :O

16 Posts

Look, i still havnt received my laptop. The guy on the phone told me i will receive it this week. I am still waiting...

If this laptop is delivered to my door with any problem of hardware i will go to the BBB.

This is mental abuse.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 12th, 2011 11:00

Yes, that sounds about right... about 200,000 a month compared to a less than 100 forum issues.

Chris, what are the Alienware desktop numbers?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 12th, 2011 11:00

the only thing ive figured out... cheap machine aka acer so far perfect.... cheap dell inspiron no prolem xps M1530 3 motherboard in  6 months then 3 years later perfect... M17X on 4th  system ..  cheap system less problems high performance system  high performance problems :O

Consumer laptops can be like that.

You should try powerful Business laptops ... like a Dell Precision or HP EliteBook. My experience is that you get what you pay for.

431 Posts

January 12th, 2011 12:00

Yes, that sounds about right... about 200,000 a month compared to a less than 100 forum issues.

Tesla,

I am sure only a SLIGHT fraction of the amount of people that have problems use these forums. Most people call tech support. So this comparison cant be made.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 12th, 2011 14:00

Tesla1856,

* I sent an email but got no response.

129 Posts

January 12th, 2011 14:00

LOL
I have to agree with you on that one.  I think its usually because you are running a high performance machine at the upper envelope of the hardware while the lower one generally runs within its comfort zone for most of its life span.

Anyway, I ahve my fingers crossed that my Area 51 is going to go well apart from the power supply needing to be changed after 1 day.  I haven't had any other issues as yet.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 12th, 2011 19:00

Tesla,

I am sure only a SLIGHT fraction of the amount of people that have problems use these forums. Most people call tech support. So this comparison cant be made.

Oh, right ... my bad. I jumped back in here and forgot what we were comparing.

But still ... 200,000 a month is about 2.4 million Alienware laptops a year. Doesn't look like we are going to get the desktop numbers ... too bad.

Alienwares a year shipped compared to major failures in the first year (lets say) ... would be an interesting number. For example, 1% is 24,000 and that's just the laptops.

42 Posts

January 12th, 2011 21:00

Well, for all of us, here is something I think we can all agree on... whether you had a  good customer service experience or a bad one... you should not have to deal with tech support/customer support/billing support in the first place...

Now I realize that computers do break, but at the rate my Alienware computers break... it is just not acceptable...

I have owned 3 Alienware systems.. had nothing but problems with two of them (the two laptops) and no issues at all with the desktop (hard drive failed, but can't really put the blame on Alienware)...

My Area-51 m15x  (paid $4300) had to have the motherboard replaced three times, graphics card replaced three times, screen hinges replaced 6 times, entire casing replaced twice due to cracking in multiple locations.

My M15x (Paid $3000) had to have it's motherboard replaced twice, graphics card replaced twice, and the heat sinks replaced once.  And now once again I am experiencing very bad performance on it, I suspect the motherboard or GPU has gone once again... have only had this thing a year... same story different laptop

My Area-51 750i desktop (paid $1200) -- no issues other than hard drive.

Now to the support...

On the Area-51 m15x the motherboard was replaced once during the first year as well as the hinges replaced three times during the warranty. During the one year warranty my casing cracked in several places, support told me that the case would not be replaced because it was an unheard of issue and had to be done by my misuse of the computer... after reading in several forums hundreds of cases wear the casing cracked due to heating problems, I called back after the warranty had expired and complained and complained and complained... eventually they decided that because my isssue had started during the warranty period they would replace the casing at no cost to me.  Not only was I lied to by support but it took 6 months having a cracked up laptop before it was fixed. The problems happened over and over and after owning it for 1 and a half years I sold it.

On the M15x I had acceptable phone support overall... had issues understanding the people because most spoke semi-poor english... but overall had a decent experience... the problems started once the tech support came to my house to fix my laptop... both times the tech guys left with unused screws.. not a major problem but one that should not happen... both told me they had never seen an Alienware before in their entire lives, the second one told me that the only training he had on Alienware systems was a short "tear down" video... but you know the saying.. "a computer is a computer" the first guy managed to get thermal compound all over my motherboard... which he was replacing.. so while replacing a faulty motherboard he destroyed another...  the second guy tore the computer apart, broke several plastic clips and also broke one of the screw-holes whatever you want to call them, on the touchpad panel... so now one side of it you can actually life with your fingers if you really want to.. and the panel above the keyboard with the touch buttons he broke a ton of the plastic clips that hold it down so now you can once again just pull the thing up and peak inside lol...

Then my friend purchased an Area-51 ALX for over $7,000 and the thing has not worked properly since he got it... it has a 980x, dual 480GTX's, 12GB RAM, etc... and yet has trouble with games such as Halo 2, Crysis, Microsoft Flight Simulator X, etc... He has made multiple calls to Dell/Alienware with no results... they have him reinstal drivers etc... but nothing fixes it..

Then another friend of mine bought at M11x prior to knowing about the hinge issues... now terrified his laptop is going to fall apart... but anyway.. out of the box the system lighting did not work... it was stuck on blue, and as soon as he booted up for the first time error messages popped up for the Alienware Command Center, good quality control Dell/Alienware! And since the lighting is built into the motherboard... his motherboard had to be replaced... what a joke...

Then again another friend of mine has had his Area-51 m9750 for a while now and has had not one issue... his gf just bought a M15x... and had a few driver issues with it right out of the box.. once again.. nice quality control...

That is a total of 7 Alienware computers... 5 have had issues... that is 71% of them have had problems... and that is just for me and my small group of friends who own Alienware's... that is a small group... but based on that info... idk... it makes it hard for me to want to buy from Alienware again... especially when I can just order from OriginPC and get an overall higher quality computer with higher specs for less.

No Events found!