Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2013 11:00

PC does'nt start after downgrading BIOS

Hi about one year ago I upgraded my Aurora ALX BIOS from A04 to A11 version. After experiencing boot many issues when booting the system, today I downgraded BIOS version to A04 again after downloaded it from Dell fpt site. Now the PC does'nt boot, just a single beep and nothing more. Any suggestion ? Thank you !!! Luca

2.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2013 11:00

Hi about one year ago I upgraded my Aurora ALX BIOS from A04 to A11 version. After experiencing boot many issues when booting the system, today I downgraded BIOS version to A04 again after downloaded it from Dell fpt site. Now the PC does'nt boot, just a single beep and nothing more. Any suggestion ? Thank you !!! Luca

1 Beep - Possible motherboard failure - BIOS ROM checksum failure  http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=496582 

Pull the coin battery and clear the CMOS and then see if it will boot.

Clear CMOS
* Power the system off
* Remove the left side panel
* Locate the 3 pin CMOS reset jumper on the system board by the coin battery
* Remove the jumper from pins 2 and 3
* Place the jumper on pins 1 and 2 and wait approximately five seconds
* Place it back on jumper pins 2 and 3
* Replace the left side panel

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2013 12:00

To be honest I'm not sure.

The code id on PC is   Is it of some help ?

Thank you

2.4K Posts

Hi

thank you for your prompt answer.

Where can I locate the CMOS reset jumpers ?

There is any motherboard draw somewhere ?

The steps you suggested are a little unclear to me:

. remove jumpers from pins 2 and 3 (ok)

. place the jumper on pins 1 and 2 (why to remove from pin 2 at the step one ?)

. place the jumper on pins 2 and 3 (on pin 2 just done at step two, or not ?)

Thank you !!!

Luca

Which Aurora do you have? R1, R2, R3 or R4? I'm guessing it's not the R4 since it's been a year in your post. R3?

Right now the Dell downloads site is broken and I can't bring up the manual for the Aurora.

2.4K Posts

If it's about a year old it will be an R2 or R3. I'm going to guess R3 but it doesn't matter. All motherboards have this jumper and they all work the same way.

Look at this picture. See the green jumper I circled?  Going from top to bottom of this pic we will call the pins 1, 2 and 3. In the picture it is on pins 1 and 2. Move it to pins 2 and 3 for about 30sec. Then put it back on pins 1 and 2.

To the left of that green jumper you will see the round coin battery. Remove it and then stick it back in.

Keep in mind that if this works you will need to reset your date and time in the BIOS. It will also turn off RAID and any Overclock. All of that will need to be reset but lets cross that bridge when/if we get there. One last option could be trying to flash the BIOS again outside of windows BUT Dell does not support that and we can not suggest doing that since we do not work for Dell. A Dell employee would need to help you with something like that. I'm not even sure if it's possible at this point with what you are saying.

2541.fwv6y.jpg

5 Posts

Hi

thank you for your prompt answer.

Where can I locate the CMOS reset jumpers ?

There is any motherboard draw somewhere ?

The steps you suggested are a little unclear to me:

. remove jumpers from pins 2 and 3 (ok)

. place the jumper on pins 1 and 2 (why to remove from pin 2 at the step one ?)

. place the jumper on pins 2 and 3 (on pin 2 just done at step two, or not ?)

Thank you !!!

Luca

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 2nd, 2013 13:00

Sounds like you bricked or killed motherboard.

See my posts in this thread to attempt recovery (ignore stuff about RAM trouble).

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19405753/19946447.aspx#19946447

ALWAYS ... flash BIOS from outside Windows or with Dell phone support on the line.

Manuals for Aurora R1 are here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Manuals/alienware-aurora-alx.html

2.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2013 19:00

Sounds like you bricked or killed motherboard.

See my posts in this thread to attempt recovery (ignore stuff about RAM trouble).

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19405753/19946447.aspx#19946447

ALWAYS ... flash BIOS from outside Windows or with Dell phone support on the line.

Manuals for Aurora R1 are here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Pages/Manuals/alienware-aurora-alx.html

Site went down for everything. I think they broke something lol. Wish they would switch to BIOS updates outside windows too. At this point I'm afraid to even mention it.

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2013 03:00

wow Tesla1856, thank you very much (morblore obviously thank you as well)

After removing CMOS battery and inserted again, the PC successfully rebooted with A04 BIOS,

What do you think is the best to do now ?

Working with A04 and verifying if the system is now stable ?

Choosing a different BIOS level but not A11 ? (of course I'm not sure the issues when system starts was due to that BIOS level, just a doubt),

Thank you all again

Luca

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 3rd, 2013 11:00

What do you think is the best to do now ?

Working with A04 and verifying if the system is now stable ?

For starters, yes.

What model Intel processor is installed?

5 Posts

March 4th, 2013 08:00

Hi Tesla1856,

how can I obtain the information you need ?

Thank you !!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 4th, 2013 11:00

how can I obtain the information you need ?

Control Panel, then Device Manager or System

No Events found!