Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2017 16:00

Performance Issues with brand new Alienware 15 R3

I just received my Alienware 15 R3 in the mail a few days ago and decided to redownload my old games on steam and such. Less demanding games like League of Legends and Garrys Mod run at 20-30 fps. Yesterday they ran at a steady 100-200. Other games like Overwatch run at 20-40fps and I don't know why. I have updated all of my drivers, set my battery plan to high performance, and set my nvidia graphics card to high performance mode. This computer cost a lot and I don't know why I'm having so many issues with it. 

Another issue I'd like to have fixed is that when I click more than 2 keys at once (for buffered ingame inputs) my trackpad will stop responding which is a huge handicap while playing games. I cannot find any settings that allow me to turn this function off and need it to stop for me to play video games properly. My LMB also stops responding when holding more than 2 keys as well while I'm ingame.

Any help would be amazing!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 16th, 2017 16:00

Hi,

Please reply with Bios version and video driver version (Intel and Nvidia).

Also try FN+F7 keys, for switchable graphics to run just on the Nvidia card.

8 Posts

January 17th, 2017 01:00

I'm having the same sort of issues with my new Alienware 15R3.. I also have an Alien 13R2 and it is much faster although I use that with a Graphics Amplifier. My 15R3 has the 1060. I think my problems arise from the fact I also have an external monitor while running the HTC Vive.

26 Posts

January 17th, 2017 23:00

Bios version alienware 1.0.9

video driver version geforce gtx 1070 and an intel(r) hd graphics 530

I called Alienware support and had the issue resolved with my graphics card by having a technician reinstall my gtx 1070 driver. But now I'm having an issue where my computer only performs while it's plugged in. Once I unplug the laptop my game drop to 30fps regardless of the game.

26 Posts

January 17th, 2017 23:00

I tried the FN+F7 keys, and this resolved the issue i was having with my laptop only performing while plugged in.

Thank you so much Eimy!!!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 18th, 2017 09:00

You're welcome!! Just keep on mind that its normal for the performance to change when the system is just in battery. It is always recommended, while gaming, for the computer to be connected to the AC Adapter since the video card requires the power to function properly.

26 Posts

January 27th, 2017 01:00

Like in my previous thread http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/20002692 the laptop still refuses to function on when I attempt to play video games when it is not plugged into the wall. I got off the phone where a technician reinstalled and updated my driver for the second time time. While running a stress test he realized my laptop's temperature was high so he had someone come to the house and replace the fans inside the laptop. Later today while enjoying the lower temperatures the laptop crashed while I was watching something like Youtube?? My laptop is stuttering now too periodically and won't respond to any input for a very slight second. 

There shouldn't be this many issues with a computer like this...

26 Posts

January 27th, 2017 01:00

Later this resulted in issues with the laptops fans not being able to cool the laptop down enough. The issue with low frame rates when the laptop isnt plugged in is also back...

No Events found!