Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2016 14:00

Power issues - M17xR4 laptop

I'm hoping I can get some assistance with my laptop. Recently, the laptop powered off by itself (black screen while gaming), and I have not yet been able to power the laptop back on.

When I plug the cable from the outlet into the power brick, the green light on the power brick turns on. However, as soon as the cable from the power brick is plugged into the power port on the laptop, the light on the brick turns off.

Whether or not I have a cable plugged into the power port on the laptop, the power button on the laptop does not have any "glow" around it.

I noticed a button on the battery on the bottom of the system; pushing it lit up the five lights next to the button (located next to the mechanism to detach the battery).

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I could look into for this? Am I in need of a wholly new laptop, or is it a possibility that just a part (or two) need to be replaced? The laptop is unfortunately two years out of warranty.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 11th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

This is usually a motherboard issue, but with this model you can try something else.

Open the system and remove the video card fan, heatsink and video card. Then try to turn the system back on, if the computer gets power then the issue will be the video card, but, if the same happens, it will be a motherboard failure.

No Events found!