Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2014 00:00

Power jack question

I am having an issue with the power jack on my m17 r2. The computer was my brothers but he decided to give it to me. He has had the power jack on the motherboard replaced a few times and he said that the repair shop can't fix it anymore.

I opened it up to take a look at the issue. Upon first inspection there appeared to be severe scoring on the pcb. After a closer look I realized it was just gobs of old burned up flux. I am guessing this was the concern of the repair shop.

I cleaned the old flux off and saw what I think is the problem. It looks to me like one of the copper trace pads was torn off. I think this is causing a loose connection.

My question is could I just remove some of the resist to reveal the trace and make a jump with some solder.

Here is a picture of the pcb.

pic 2.jpg

IMG_20140228_023201.jpg

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 28th, 2014 09:00

That pin is tied to the other side and not related to the issue.

JACK.jpg

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 28th, 2014 13:00

Nice research SpeedStep. It's even in the same orientation.

His pics (of traces) are poor, but isn't one of the back pins the digital AC-Adapter personal identity pin?

Remember, there are possibly traces on the other side. Ohm/Volt meter is your friend.

5 Posts

March 2nd, 2014 22:00

I don't have a camera for taking macros so sorry about the quality, can't upload more than 64kb anyway. I thought it would be good enough. It doesn't help that my stupid transformer prime's camera has a loose connection. 

I don't have a volt meter right now so I can't test leads till this weekend.  From what I can tell there are some leads on the top side but they appear to do nothing. I can see that the pin that had the missing pad had a good amount of excess solder running up the post that may have damaged the female plug. I believe the best course of action right now would be to order a new power jack.

I took a look a some of the surface mount components and they seem to be ok but I cant say for sure without a meter. For some reason I always find missing caps and resistors on pcbs, unrelated to the problem. I guess they're for different models or something.

Here are some pictures of the topside of the motherboard. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

4214.IMG_20140302_232227.jpg

3302.IMG_20140302_232237.jpg

8712.IMG_20140302_232242.jpg

0181.IMG_20140302_232309.jpg

No Events found!